Like the work place of many, mine is a challenging one to be around, with the vast amount and variety of good eats that always seems to make its way through the doors. At no time is this more evident than around the holidays. One of the major contributing factors to the ever-present food at my work locale is the number of excllent cooks and bakers with whom I work. Throw in a visiting family membor or two and the phenomenon seems to become even more expansive.
Be Sure and Follow Platter Talk on Facebook and Never Miss A Great Recipe!
Cayenne Toffee-Style Peanut Brittle
inspired by Nancy Groutage
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- In heavy sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sugars, syrup, and cayenne pepper and mix together until sugars are dissolved.
- Gently fold in nuts.
- Increase heat and bring mixture to boil and turns a golden brown in color.
- Place mixture on cookie sheet and allow to cool and harden.
- Break into pieces, using your hands.
- For firmer toffee, use less butter
- For softer toffee, use a little more butter
- For more zip, add an additional 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.