Have I mentioned to you how happy I am that "good weather" is finally here? It's that time of year for us here in Wisconsin when the grass is a deep green and it's not just the skies that are blue. These luscious blueberries are laced with Ghiradelli chocolate and sandwiched between two layers of a soft flour and butter based crumb. Tailor made for summer, these blueberry crumb bars are a recipe that you will not want to miss.
As I grow older, there is one thing that becomes more apparent every day: simple is best. These bars are an excellent example of this mantra, and they have one additional quality. The are very delicious.
So, maybe I decided to mix in a little chocolate in with these fresh blueberries. Do not judge me. They're still simple, and in my slightly biased opinion, even more tasty. Now that we've established these bars to be simple and tasty, let me make just a couple of more points about them.
They are a true crumb bar. Perhaps it's not an overstatement to say they are a perfect crumb bar. That is to say, these bars manage to hold their shape very well, in spite of their crumb base. And now the good news and bad news about these babies. I'll give you the good news first. They are not overly sweet. The bad news, as Scott pointed out, this attribute only make it easier to eat more of them. Myself, I'm not entirely sure why that is not a good thing but according to the other man of the house, it is factor to consider. (Once again) myself, I will accept the risk and because these are really really good, you might want to consider doing the same.
Be Sure and Follow Platter Talk on Facebook and Never Miss A Great Recipe!
Blueberry Crumb Bars
a Platter Talk Exclusive
yields 16 bars
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chops (I used 60% cacao chips from Ghiradelli)
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, and baking powder.
- Mix in salt and cinnamon.
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar and cornstarch.
- Gently mix in the blueberries and chocolate.
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust.
- Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.