White Bean and Sausage Soup – This simple but flavorful soup goes together in under 30 minutes and makes enough to feed a family of six for about $10.00 or less. If that’s not all good enough, the entire recipe can be made using a single kitchen pot. What’s not to love?
White Bean and Sausage Soup
This White Bean and Sausage Soup is all about flavor and ease, not a bad combination by any means. The soup all starts by browning some sausage in a large soup pot or skillet. Because it’s my favorite pan in the kitchen, I used my enamel coated skillet.. I like this skillet so much that I gave it a name, William. For good or bad, that practice seemed to catch on in my kitchen and to the chagrin of my boy I now have quite a few named pots, pans and a sundry of baking dishes in my kitchen cupboards
After the sausage is browned, some diced onions and fennel are added to the pan and sauteed. Next, some dry white wine is added to the pan to deglaze it and before long you’ve got a big pot that looks looks something like this, front and center on your kitchen stove.
Ingredients You Need To Make White Bean and Sausage Soup
Salt and Pepper
If you’re looking for hearty winter soup to enjoy, this White Bean and Sausage Soup is just the ticket. Give it a try this week and be sure and let us know how you like it. Keep it warm and keep it delicious. -Dan
- 1 lb. bulk sweet sausage
- 1 medium size white onion, coarse dice
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 32 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup small pasta shells
- 1 14 oz can cannellinii beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 cups (a few handfuls) baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- Heat large soup pot or skillet over medium high heat and brown sausage, using a wooden spoon to break it up. Add onion and fennel, saute for about 4 more minutes until onion is soft. Add wine to pan and delglaze, using wooden spoon,.
- Add marinara and chicken broth, bring to low simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook to desired consistency. Stir in beans, add salt and pepper to flavor.
- Just before serving, stir in baby spinach until wilted and then ladle into serving bowls and serve immediately.