Have I mentioned to you how happy I am that “good weather” is finally here? It’s that time of year for us here in Wisconsin when the grass is a deep green and it’s not just the skies that are blue. These luscious blueberries are laced with Ghiradelli chocolate and sandwiched between two layers of a soft flour and butter based crumb. Tailor made for summer, these blueberry crumb bars are a recipe that you will not want to miss.
Never Miss Another Platter Talk Recipe
Blueberry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup white sugar divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips I used 60% cacao chips from Ghiradelli
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, and baking powder.
- Mix in salt and cinnamon.
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar and cornstarch.
- Gently mix in the blueberries and chocolate.
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust.
- Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.