Cauliflower Gratin with Horseradish Sauce makes for a subtle yet savory side dish that turns luxurious, thanks to a topping of fresh breadcrumbs mixed with Asiago Cheese.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Gratin:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- Salt and pepper
- Asiago cheese
- Fresh breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley
Start this recipe for Cauliflower Gratin by creating a roux, using butter and flour.
In case you don’t know how, follow this informative link on How to Make a Roux.
Use a handheld fine mesh strainer like the one shown to help prevent clumps of flour in the roux.
Then, gradually add the milk, stir and heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Now, things are going to start to turn delicious.
Add some refrigerated horseradish to the sauce, and stir it in well. Then, pour the sauce into the baking dish filled with the cauliflower florets.
Just before popping this Cauliflower au gratin into the oven, mix up a batch of fresh breadcrumbs to top it with.
If you’ve never made your own breadcrumbs, Scott shows you how to make breadcrumbs in this food video.
For the breadcrumb topping, you need:
- A few slices of bread, for this I used a small portion of some artisan bread and I reserved the remaining loaf to serve with this meal.
- A half stick of butter, or about 4-5 tablespoons, softened to room temperature.
- ½ cup of grated Asiago cheese.
- A small handful of fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- A pinch of salt
This Cauliflower Gratin is savory and delicious. Don’t be afraid of the horseradish; it lends just a subtle kick of flavor and blends perfectly with the milky roux.
The Asiago breadcrumb topping brings the whole dish together, and you’ll get the feeling that you are dining in high style when in fact, it’s just a bit of cauliflower mixed with a few ordinary ingredients.
Please, try this one soon! -Dan
Some Other Popular Holiday Side Dishes
- Recipe for Giblet Gravy
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Blistered Green Beans from Two Healthy Kitchens
- Cauliflower Latkes
for the cauliflower
- 1 lbs large head of cauliflower about 2.5 (1 kg., separated into florets.
- ½ cup stick butter ¼
- ¼ - ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons or about ½ cup refrigerated horseradish
- 1 pinch salt
- a little ground pepper
for the breadcrumb topping
- 5 slices of bread
- ½ cup grated Asiago cheese
- ¼ cup butter softened to room temperature
- fresh parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 375℉ and grease a 3 quart gratin dish or a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- Using large sauce pan, cook cauliflower florets in salted water for about 5 minutes, until tender-crisp and then drain.
- Using large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and then whisk in flour until smooth. Cook about a minute while stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk, can continue to stir over medium heat for several minutes until sauce thickens and begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in horseradish along with salt and pepper.
- Pour ⅓ of sauce into prepared baking pan. Add cauliflower and then pour remaining sauce over cauliflower.
for the breadcrumb topping
- Place bread, Asiago cheese, butter and optional parsley into a food processor and process until desired texture is attained.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over gratin and bake for about an hour or until top of dish beings to brown.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes, and then serve and be prepared to hand out copies of this recipe.