Chicken with Creamy Butternut Squash. Who doesn’t enjoy a fun, spur of the moment get together with friends? When it happens within the time frame of a couple of hours and there are hungry appetites, a talented chef and a beautiful home, it turns into a bona fide dinner party.
Chicken with Creamy Butternut Squash
For years, I have maintained that boring is good. Most nights find us holed up at the house, helping with homework, cleaning up dishes, doing laundry and planning school lunches for the next day. In spite of the mundane nature of this existence, we have always felt blessed to have these tasks at hand. When a friend calls you from out of the blue to ask you over for an impromptu get-together, the feelings of good fortune for good friends evokes an even heightened awareness of all our many blessings.
Our friend Chris hales from Scotland. An engineer who travels the globe, he’s a worldly guy with international friends and style. He’s also very down to earth. A great friend to our boys and their dads, he’s a generous guy and a talented chef. Tonight, with not much planning at all, our friend put this Chicken with Creamy Butternut Squash and we were the benefactors.
Replete with folks from all over the place, this dinner party that featured Chicken with Creamy Butternut Squash was attended by a Brit and good friend of everyone who happens to manager and be the front man of the most popular restaurant in our city, a couple of colleagues of Chris’s from around the U.S., and another friend who just returned from a four year stint in Moscow. Smart, funny, and interesting people, good wine, laughter, and of course this Chicken with Creamy Butternut Squash. Life is good, even when it’s boring.
You may have noticed the hummus, as an accompaniment to this Chicken with Creamy Butternut Squash. Initially, I wasn’t sure where this fit in with the rest of the meal. Then I spread a little of the hummus on the savory chicken. Suddenly it all fit perfectly and I realized Chris knew exactly what he was doing with this combination. We hope you try this dish and we hope even more that you have people like these folks in your life to call friends. -Dan
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in strips about 2 inches in width
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and coarsely diced
- 2 sprigs fresh marjoram or oregano
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced as thin as possible.
- 1 cup heavy cram
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken breast in a bowl.
- Add the leaves of herb sprigs to the bowl, add a pinch of sea salt and some fresh ground pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Place chicken breasts and flavorings into a 9" x 13" baking dish. Snugly fit squash shavings around the chicken.
- Carefully pour the cream around the squash, not on the chicken.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake 30 minutes on center rack of oven.
Add hummus as a condiment.