Saturday morning found us in a rare place, sleeping in til 7:00 and no boys. Walking into our sun filled kitchen the first thing I noticed was a bowl, full of ripe avocados. Thinking they would be a great start to our weekend, I mulled over some thoughts and ideas with which I could put these to good use. It didn’t take long before I came up with this Saturday morning breakfast idea, good for any day that ends in y.
We make a lot of guacamole in our house, and although we’ve made a few things with avocado for Platter Talk in the past, we don’t use it nearly enough. This great little breakfast has just a few ingredients, and good health in the form of protein and the power-food nature of avocados. You can substitute a pita for the tortilla shell, or even a good old fashioned piece of toast. This one is full of flavor, nutrition, and crunch. Not a bad way to start any day. Speaking of day, here’s to hoping yours is off to a great start! -Dan
- 3 avocados
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- 2 soft tortilla shells
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush tortilla shells with olive oil, lightly salt.
- Place in oven until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix avocado, lemon juice and shallots.
- Salt to taste.
- Fry eggs
- Remove tortillas from oven and spread avocado over each.
- Place an egg on center of each tortilla and serve immediately.