Frittata Ranchera with Black Beans
- 6 eggs large
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Coarse salt and fresh ground peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 jalapeno chiles (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- Heat oven broiler, with rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole eggs, egg whites, and parsley; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium size oven proof skillet, over medium heat.
- Add onion, tomatoes, and jalapenos; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add egg mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until eggs are almost set, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat beans in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through.
- Uncover skillet and place frittata under broiler. Cook until the top is set and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Run a flexible spatula around edge of frittata to loosen from pan, then slide onto a plate.
- Cut frittata into wedges and serve with black beans.