Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe – Many of us love a good roasted chicken. I can think of few people, particularly busy and working parents, who don’t appreciate the good food that can come from a slow cooker. Wouldn’t it be incredible if you could roast a chicken in your crock pot? That day has arrived, with this Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe.
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe
We all know how slow cookers do their thing, in a slow covered process. Typically this results in lots of juices, sometimes to the point of shredded meat. Sometimes this is desirable, and sometime it isn’t. It seems then, that it would not be possible to roast a chicken in your slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe easily and deliciously proves otherwise.
How to Roast a Chicken in your Slow Cooker:
(complete recipe and detailed instructions follow this post)
- Spray crock of your slow cooker with non-stick coating.
- Using 4 or 5 potatoes, peel and slice in half the log way and place in single layer in slow cooker.
- Using a whole chicken, thoroughly pat dry and season as directed below. Place chicken on top of potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high, 6-8 hours.
- Toward the end, pour juice into skillet, add a little wine and some seasoning, stir and heat to reduce.
- !FOOD HACK!: To thicken gravy, take a small kitchen strainer, put some flour in it and tap into gravy while stirring continuously. This thickens your gravy without any lumps of flour, giving a smooth and velvety texture to your gravy while allowing you to thicken to desired consistency!
- Using two large utensils, such as a spatula and slotted spoon, carefully transfer bird to skillet.
- Place under your oven broiler for about five minutes until skin is lightly browned and ready to eat!
Aside from the skillet used to thicken the savory gravy and brown the chicken at the end, this Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe is a veritable one-pot wonder and gives you a complete meal at the end of the process. How can you beat that?
What slow cooking hacks do you have? What’s next, Slow Cooker Pizza? That will no doubt qualify as the eight wonder of the world. This Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe is sure to be close behind. Give it a try and let us know how you like it. -Dan
Never Miss Another Platter Talk Recipe
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and sliced in half lengthwise.
- 1 roasting chicken patted dry.
- 1 lemon cut into 4-6 wedges, peel left on.
- a handful fresh thyme sprigs
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup flour
- Turn slow cooker to high setting.
- Apply coat of non-stick spray to interior of crock.
- Place potatoes in single layer in bottom of crock.
- Generously salt and pepper interior cavity of bird and exterior skin surfaces
- Place chicken on potatoes, remove leaves from a couple sprigs of thyme and sprinkle on bird. Throw a couple of whole sprigs into slow cooker and on top of chicken.
- Place lemon wedges on chicken.
- Add carrots to crock pot, cover and allow to cook for 6-8 hours.
- Toward the end of cooking, drain juices from crock pot and place in skillet.
- Over medium high heat, add wine and sprinkle flour into liquid as shown above. Add a sprig or two of thyme to infuse while reducing to desired consistency.
- Turn oven broiler on high setting.
- Carefully transfer chicken to skillet, using 2 large slotted spoons, spatulas, or similar utensils.
- Place high in oven, beneath broiler for about 5 minutes, till skin is nicely browned.
- Remove potatoes and carrots from slow cooker.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!