Rosemary Lemon Chicken
Low cost, high flavor chicken dinner accented with fresh lemon and fresh rosemary.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- juice from 2 lemons
- 2 eggs
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary stems removed and finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine flour, salt and pepper and then divide in two shallow dredging bowls.
In third shallow dredging bowl, beat the two eggs and then combine and stir lemon juice, lemon zest, and rosemary.
Using standard breading procedure,
, dredge chicken and place on clean tray.
Meanwhile, place oil in large oven safe skillet and heat on medium-high setting.
Place chicken in skillet, a few pieces at a time if necessary to avoid crowding.
Brown each piece evenly, about 3-4 minutes per side. Allow to drain on paper bag.
Discard oil from skillet and return chicken to pan. Add wine to skillet and place in oven.
Allow chicken to finish in the oven, covered, about 45-60 minutes, until juices run clear and internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees F.
Garnish with additional rosemary, if desired.
To make gravy:
- Check the chicken after 20-30 minutes in the oven. Add more wine if necessary.
- At the end, remove chicken from Dutch oven and reserve the drippings to make a delicious gravy.
- Place Dutch oven over hot burner and add more wine or water if necessary.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, whisk in a little flour to help thicken it up.
- For added flavor, add a tablespoon of Better than Boulon.
Calories: 954kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 31g | Cholesterol: 225mg | Sodium: 750mg | Potassium: 500mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 5mg