This Magic Cookie Bars Recipe makes for a great go-to treat when you are looking for a fast and simple dessert to put together. Warning: Do not expect leftovers from this one!
Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
We came across this magical dessert recipe from the New York Times Cooking section, one of our many sources of awesome food ideas. When I first saw the recipe my taste buds jumped into full gear for their obvious appeal and my heartstrings tugged just a bit because of their similarity to my late mother-in-laws’s legendary Boat Bars Recipe which we featured a while back here on Platter Talk. This is a sweet and gooey addictive dessert that is sure to become a part of your permanent dessert routine.
To Make This Magic Cookie Bars Recipe You Need
- Graham crackers
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Unsweetened coconut
As with most recipes, some of these ingredients are optional. Like the my mother-in-law’s Boat Bars Recipe, you can omit the nuts in this magic cookie bars recipe. Don’t care for coconut (which I just don’t understand), leave it out. You get the point.
The critical parts of this recipe are naturally the ingredients that make up its base: Graham crackers, brown sugar, egg and baking powder (which acts as a leavening agent and helps hold the whole thing together).
For the toppings, make it your own! Caramel chips, nutella, oatmeal and… You get the point.
This Magic Cooke Bars Recipe is Great for:
Baby or bridal showers
Take a look at the short video below to see just how simple this magic cookie bars recipe is to make. Then, crank up the oven and get your magic on! -Dan
Other delicious bars
Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
for the crust
for the topping
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 13" baking pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving a 2 inch overhang on 2 sides.
- Use a food processor to finely grind the graham crackers. Add the brown sugar, baking powder and salt and process until well combined. Next, add the butter and egg while processing. Pulse process until mixture is moist throughout and large clumps are formed.
- Pour the graham cracker mixture into prepared baking pan. Gently pat down, using the palms of your hands, until evenly distributed. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the baked crust and then spread evenly, using the back of a spoon. Next, sprinkle half of the chocolate on top of the condensed milk, followed by half of the chopped pecans. Be sure to evenly distribute each. Next, evenly distribute the coconut flakes over the chocolate and pecan layer. Finally, evenly sprinkle remaining half of chocolate and pecans over the coconut layer.
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes until evenly browned on top. Allow to cool on wire wrack for at least ten minutes, in pan. Then, use overhang of parchment paper to lift bars out of the pan and transfer to cutting board to slice and serve.