The weekend started out innocently enough. We, including 5 of our boys and a rather lazy English bulldog named Ellie, headed up to our little cottage on a little lake in the middle of Nowhere, Wisconsin to enjoy a little family time. As the drive progressed, I knew that I didn’t feel just right. What I would find out, very soon, was that I had a kidney stone and it wanted out. Luckily, this “passed” very quickly. Unfortunately, it left me feeling a little down and in discomfort. As I lay on the sofa, I realized that I wanted to do something to turn my mood around. I started thinking about my family and how lucky I really am. So, I thought that I would make a special meal for them. Getting in the kitchen always puts me in good spirits.
I used chocolate instant pudding for my base, but the sky is the limit. Just think of all the different pudding flavors that are out there. You can really create some great and unique frostings. Your friends will think that you are a master baker and that you spent all day preparing such a great dessert. But we will know differently.
Cottage Cake with Whipped Frosting
- 1 cake mix prepared as specified on box
- 1 3.9 oz instant pudding of choice I used chocolate
- 1 cup cold milk
- ¼ cup powder sugar
- 1 8 oz container of Cool Whip or Whipped topping
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on box and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk together instant pudding, milk and powder sugar in a large mixing bowl for approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Cool Whip to the pudding mixture.
- If the mixture seems to be a little runny, place in the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm up.
- Spread on cake or cupcakes.