This 7 Up pound cake is an easy and beautiful dessert recipe that you can make from scratch and have it taste better than any bakery in town.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive and crowd-pleasing treat, then this lemon pound cake is the answer.
I came across the idea for this 7 up pound cake from Taste of Home.
About this dessert
Like most of the recipes from there, it’s practical, simple to make, and as you can see, has great curb appeal.
The beauty of this soda cake is that anybody can make it, virtually no skill required!
We do a lot of cooking, baking, and eating in our household and when I realized I had everything on hand to prepare this soda cake, I got right down to business.
How to make it
- Cream the sugar and butter.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add ¾ cup (85 g) of 7-Up.
- Evenly distribute in a greased and floured bundt pan.
After preparing, baking, and having a few morsels of this 7 Up pound cake, I knew we had another winner on our hands.
I took this dessert into work with me, this was one of the accolades left by a colleague on my facebook page:
“…I must say this is by far the best-baked good I have ever eaten. I could’ve eaten the whole thing. I still want more….thank you so very much. You truly have a culinary talent.“
Perhaps a bit overstated, but you get the idea.
I had a lot of fun putting this beauty together. I didn’t weight it, but the name of this recipe is pretty accurate.
It’s dense, heavy, and delicious. I dressed it up a bit at the end, by shaving some delicious Godiva chocolate and giving the cake a good sprinkling.
Chocolate and lemon go quite well together, just like peas and carrots. But that’s another recipe. I hope you give this one a try. -Dan
Can I use self-rising flour for this 7-Up pound cake?
This recipe will turn out best by using all-purpose flour or cake flour.
What’s the difference between lemon extract vs. lemon juice?
Lemon extract is more concentrated than lemon juice. To substitute extract for fresh juice, use ½ of the amount called for.
Top Baking Tips
- Start with ingredients at room temperature. This will help ensure more even baking. Here’s a handy way for how to bring eggs to room temperature.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to get every last bit!
- Grease and flour the cake pan before adding the batter.
My Three Favorite Homemade Cake Recipes
If you like this recipe, you have to try our Lemon Cake Mix Cookies. They’re half cookie, half cake. And all delicious!
See all of our Cake Recipes!
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
- Bundt pan
for the cake
- 1-½ cups butter softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup 7UP soda
for the glaze
- 1-½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 7UP soda
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon or lime peel optional
for the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted or plain tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add flour alternately with 7UP, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
for the glaze
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and enough 7UP to reach desired consistency.
- If desired, stir in lemon peel.
- Drizzle over cake.