Flank Steak Pinwheels feature quality flattened flank steak that is butterflied, flattened, and topped with some savory greens of your choice with a little Parmesan cheese. The seasoned steak is then rolled up and grilled to summer perfection. If you have a good friend who is also a fabulous cook and she has you over to prepare this for you, that’s an added bonus.
Flank Steak Pinwheels
By now most of you should know our friend April. She’s been feeding us some pretty great food over the past few weeks and we’ve featured some of her recipes on Platter Talk. Remember that delicious Chicken Fried Steak we served a few weeks ago here on Platter Talk? How about that wonderful Spring Potato Salad? Both came from April and both are great tasting. Let’s add one more recipe to the mix from April, with these Flank Steak Pinwheels. They are fantastic!
These Flank Steak Pinwheels combine a blend of savory greens with some light seasoning and cheese. Through the magic of the grilling process, everything comes together very nicely. The char-grilled steak, the heat-enhanced flavor of the greens, and the melted cheese which ties it all together. Truly, savory summer perfection.
Besides the flavor and the fact that these Flank Steak Pinwheels are grilled, I love how versatile this recipe is.
Use what greens you have on hand or the ones that you prefer. Spinach would work great with this, perhaps with feta cheese.
I never would have imagined using Italian parsley as April did but I have to tell you, she made a believer out of me. Again. Give this one a try and let us know how you like it. Then, try to wait patiently to taste what April has in store for us next. I can’t wait! -Dan
Flank Steak PinwheelsPrint Pin Rate
- 2 lbs flank steak
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Zest of 2 lemons divided
- 4 tablespoons rosemary stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic grated
- 2 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Pre-soaked skewers
- Prepare outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Unroll steaks on a large work surface and lightly pound if necessary to make the meat an even thickness, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick.
- Drizzle meat with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the zest of 1 lemon on each steak.
- Top the meat with rosemary and chopped garlic, and scatter a layer of parsley over the top using about 1 cup of leaves per steak.
- Top the parsley with shaved Parmesan cheese
- Carefully wrap and roll the steaks into large pinwheels.
- Skewer the center of each steak tightly pre-soaked skewers, placing skwers about 1.5 inches apart from one another.
- Cut each steak evenly, spacing your knife between the skewers to form 6 pinwheels each about 1 1/2 inches thick and 4 inches in diameter.
- Grill for about 5 minutes on each side, until finished to your level of preference