This Bacon Ranch Potato Salad is a simple but flavorful side dish that you will be tempted to eat by itself if not as a side dish. This recipe is just that delicious and remember whichever option you choose, we promise not to judge.
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
Potato salad is a hallmark of summer. It is standard fare at outdoor picnics and family reunions and is among the earliest food memories that I have coming out of my mom’s Mennonite kitchen.
Her potato salad, with its homemade creamy sauce was a signature dish and one that everyone recognized as coming from my mom. This updated version of Bacon Ranch Potato Salad is a bit more 21st century in both composition and in taste.
What’s in it:
Baby red potatoes
The lemon juice gives this recipe for bacon ranch potato salad a lively zing, keeping the tone lively and fresh. Sour cream keeps it lighter tasting, when compared to a cream or mayonnaise base and the shredded cheese lends the structure and flavor that can only be found in good cheddar.
The stars of this show though are of course the bacon and the ranch dressing seasoning. The two are a bona fide match made in culinary heaven. We’ve made this bacon and ranch potato salad a couple of times and take my advise and do not sacrifice the quality of the bacon that you use for this recipe. Look for bacon that is not all fat and loaded with sodium and other preservatives. You pay a bit extra for the good bacon but believe me, it is worth it and your finished product will reflect this.
Lastly, there are fresh chives in this bacon ranch potato salad. We like the color and flavor that the chives bring to the picnic table. Feel free to substitute shallots or finely chopped red onions as well. As with almost any recipe, a dash of salt and/or pepper is always a personal option; use either one of these seasoning to your own personal taste.
Other delicious salads
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes
- 8 oz bacon
- 16 oz light sour cream
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chives chopped
- 1 ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash and quarter baby red potatoes and place in large pot of boiling water. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until fork-tender, taking care not to over cook. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While the potatoes are boiling, fry up 6 to 8 slices of bacon until crispy. Drain on absorbent surface such as a brown paper bag or paper towel. Cool and crumble or chop with a knife.
- In small mixing bowl, comb combine sour cream, ranch seasoning, lemon juice and shredded cheddar cheese. Thoroughly combine.
- Return potatoes to pot and then pour sour cream mixture over them while gently stirring with a soft spatula. Mix in chives and salt (if desired.) Transfer to serving dish and cool in refrigerator for at leas 1 hour prior to serving.
Be sure and have a taste of our other potato salads, they’re all pretty darn tasty!