Shredded Brussels sprouts make a light and savory salad, perfect for your next special meal. Featuring ordinary seasonal ingredients, this recipe has fall written all over it.
If you're looking to add a special touch to your holiday dinner, I have exactly what you want.
Growing up, I was not a fan of Brussels sprouts. Besides reminding me of mini-cabbages, I only remember them being served wet, soggy, and with no flavor at all.
Over the years, Brussels sprouts recipes have become a favorite food of mine. These little green nutrition bombs can be made in so many ways. Roasted, sauteed, grilled, are just a few ways I've learned to enjoy them. And now, in this beautiful and tasty salad.
🥗 What is it?
This green salad uses a base of butter lettuce mixed shredded Brussels sprouts. The soft and slightly sweet leaves of butter lettuce are a wonderful compliment to the crisp and savory slices of Brussels sprouts.
As a time saver, you can make most of this salad a day or two ahead of time and put it all together just before serving. Another reason I love this shredded Brussels sprouts recipe!
🥬 What's in it?
The two greens are mixed with a combination of fall flavors like apple and dried cranberries. It's then all held together by a simple dressing made from lemon juice and olive oil.
- Brussels sprouts
- Butter lettuce
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Goat cheese
- Dried cranberries
🥣 How to make it
(Find the full recipe at the end of this post.)
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together.
- Slice and shred the sprouts and lettuce and put them in a large bowl.
- Pour the olive oil and lemon juice mixture over the greens and mix well.
- Just before serving, mix the apple, cranberries, and toasted pecans into the greens. Top with goat cheese.
Pro Kitchen Tips
- Tossing the apples with the lemon juice will to keep them from browning!
- Toasting the pecans will add loads of flavor! If you've never done it, here's a great tutorial for how to toast nuts.
In case you were wondering
Can You Eat Cold Brussels Sprouts?
Yes, and this salad is a great example how to eat raw Brussels sprouts. The fresher they are, the sweeter they taste!
How to Shred Brussels Sprouts
- Start by trimming the ends and peeling off any brown or wilted leaves.
- Use a sharp knife and carefully slice them in half, from top to bottom.
- Lay each half, cut-side down, on a cutting board and thinly slice (width-wise) and then shred them by hand.
- You can shred Brussels sprout in a food processor as well. Just trim them and cut them in half. Then pulse, one or two times.
How Far in Advance Can I Shred Brussels Sprouts?
You can shred them up to two days ahead of time. Be sure to store them in an air-tight container in your refrigerator.
How Long do Brussels Sprouts Last in the Fridge?
Brussels sprouts will last for days in the fridge, but they taste best if you use them within three of four days of buying them. Don't wash them until you are ready to use them. (This will help keep them fresh.)
What Pairs with Brussels Sprouts?
Think savory meats and other veggies. Some great choices are:
- Chopped bacon
- Pan-seared chicken breasts
- Roasted Chicken
- Skirt Steak
Similar Salads You Might Enjoy
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Shredded Brussels sprouts salad
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts rinsed and trimmed
- 1 head Butter lettuce small
- 3 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup Fresh lemon juice plus one additional tablespoon
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 oz Goat cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Dried cranberries
- ½ cup Pecans toasted and choppped
- ½ Galla apple juilienne cut
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, ¼ cup lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Thinly slice Brussels sprouts and butter lettuce. Place in a large salad bowl.
- Julienne the apple and toss with remaining tablespoon of lemon juice. Add apple to salad bowl.
- Pour oil/lemon juice mixture over the greens and toss well.
- Just before serving, mix cranberries and roasted pecans with salad. Top with goat cheese.
- Leave the apple skin intact for added color.
- Adjust amounts of cranberries, pecans, and cheese to taste.
- Be very gentle when mixing in the goat cheese (or just leave it on top to mix in naturally while serving) and it spreads easily when mixing and can become messy.
- For a little extra flair, you can substitute the goat cheese for Parmesan cheese, blue cheese, or even some shredded, extra sharp cheddar cheese.
We LOVE all the ingredients in this salad- and especially shredded Brussels Sprouts! Genius!
Thank for a delicious recipe! Ps ... love your sites new look! Congrats!
Dan from Platter Talk
Thanks, Ladies! So awesome to hear from you!
The contrast of the greens flavors & textures makes this salad surprisingly complex base.
Add the goat cheese crumbles, apples, cranberry & toasted pecans? This is a healthy, delicious, satisfying meal masquerading as a salad. Love it!