What is this?
As I put this cucumber salsa recipe together Sunday evening, it dawned on me that in essence, this particular “snack” is comprised of summer in a bowl.
To to be more specific – a vegetable garden in a bowl.
You can probably see from the above photo that when serving this salsa we decided to skip the traditional tortilla chips in lieu of, you guessed it – more vegetables! Slices of fresh summer squash and cucumber are a great way to enjoy this cucumber salsa, all while keeping your carb intake to a skinny zero.
How to make it
- Dice and seed some fresh cucumbers.
- Do the same to some garden fresh tomatoes.
- Add a sweet bell pepper.
- Add some herbs, like cilantro and parsley.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice and stir it in with some salt and pepper.
- Garlic and jalapeño will give it a little heat.
- Garnish with fresh dill
In case there is any doubt, this cool cucumber salsa can be more than just a snack.
This fresh salsa makes for an excellent accompaniment or side note to a host of grilled mains including fish, chicken or pork. Or, just enjoy it as a main dish!
The beautiful thing about this summer salsa, besides it’s appearance, taste, and aroma, is that it’s strong enough to stand on it’s own as a fresh and healthy snack.
More easy salsa recipes
- Summer Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Butter Tortilla Chips
- Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Mango and Peach Salsa over Oven-Baked Pork Chops
- Lentil Rice Cakes and Tomato Salsa
- Zucchini and Cheese and Salsa Bake
Grab a cucumber or two, then a handful of fresh garden friends. Mix them together n a bowl, give them a little seasoning and a light bath in some fresh lime juice. You’re going to love what you taste.
Happy snacking, happy summer. -Dan
More farmer’s market recipes
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Cool Cucumber Salsa
- 2-3 medium size cucumbers seeded and diced
- 2 medium size tomatoes seeded and diced
- ½ red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons each parsley and cilantro leaves, chopped
- juice from 1 lime and zest from 1 lime
- chopped dill weed to taste about 1 tablespoon
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
In lieu of chips, serve this salsa on chopped slices of fresh garden produce such as zucchini or other summer squash, and garden fresh cucumbers.
The salsa makes a great accompaniment to grilled pork, steak, or chicken.