We’ve been doing some snacking the last couple of days, here on Platter Talk. To be a bit more specific, we’ve been snacking around summer, or perhaps it’s more accurate to say that we have been snacking on summer.
As I put this cucumber salsa recipe together Sunday evening, it dawned on me that in essence, this particular “snack” is comprised of summer in a bowl. Once again, to be more specific – a vegetable garden in a bowl.
You can probably see from the above photo that when serving this salsa we decided to skip the traditional tortilla chips in lieu of, you guessed it – more vegetables! Slices of fresh summer squash and cucumber are a great way to enjoy this cucumber salsa, all while keeping your carb intake to a skinny zero.
How to make this fresh salsa
- Dice and seed some fresh cucumbers.
- Do the same to some garden fresh tomatoes.
- Add a sweet bell pepper.
- Add some herbs, like cilantro and parsley.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice and stir it in with some salt and pepper.
- Garlic and jalapeño will give it a little heat.
- Garnish with fresh dill
In case there is any doubt, this cool cucumber salsa can be more than just a snack. This fresh salsa makes for an excellent accompaniment or side note to a host of grilled mains including fish, chicken or pork. Or, just enjoy it as a main dish!
For certain, the beautiful thing about this salsa, besides it’s appearance, taste, and aroma, is that it’s strong enough to stand on it’s own as a fresh and healthy snack and yet versatile enough to go along with any of the previously mentioned main events – and others, I’m sure.
We’ve got a whole field full of other homemade salsa recipes, here are just a few!
- Summer Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Butter Tortilla Chips
- Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Mango and Peach Salsa over Oven-Baked Pork Chops
- Lentil Rice Cakes and Tomato Salsa
- Zucchini and Cheese and Salsa Bake
Grab a cucumber or two, then a handful of fresh garden friends. Mix them together n a bowl, give them a little seasoning and a light bath in some fresh lime juice. You’re going to love what you taste. Happy snacking, happy summer. -Dan
A few more of our favorite farmer’s market recipes:
Cool Cucumber Salsa
- 2-3 medium size cucumbers seeded and diced
- 2 medium size tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons each parsley and cilantro leaves, chopped
- juice from 1 lime and zest from 1 lime
- chopped dill weed to taste about 1 tablespoon
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
In lieu of chips, serve this salsa on chopped slices of fresh garden produce such as zucchini or other summer squash, and garden fresh cucumbers.
The salsa makes a great accompaniment to grilled pork, steak, or chicken.
Updated from original post of August 25, 2014