We’ve been doing some snacking the last couple of days, here on Platter Talk. To be a bit more specific, we’ve been snacking around summer, or perhaps it’s more accurate to say that we have been snacking on summer.
As I put this cucumber salsa recipe together Sunday evening, it dawned on me that in essence, this particular “snack” is comprised of summer in a bowl. Once again, to be more specific – a vegetable garden in a bowl.
You can probably see from the above photo that when serving this salsa we decided to skip the traditional tortilla chips in lieu of, you guessed it – more vegetables! Slices of fresh summer squash and cucumber are a great way to enjoy this cucumber salsa, all while keeping your carb intake to a skinny zero.
How to make this fresh salsa
- Dice and seed some fresh cucumbers.
- Do the same to some garden fresh tomatoes.
- Add a sweet bell pepper.
- Add some herbs, like cilantro and parsley.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice and stir it in with some salt and pepper.
- Garlic and jalapeño will give it a little heat.
- Garnish with fresh dill
In case there is any doubt, this cool cucumber salsa can be more than just a snack. This fresh salsa makes for an excellent accompaniment or side note to a host of grilled mains including fish, chicken or pork. Or, just enjoy it as a main dish!
For certain, the beautiful thing about this salsa, besides it’s appearance, taste, and aroma, is that it’s strong enough to stand on it’s own as a fresh and healthy snack and yet versatile enough to go along with any of the previously mentioned main events – and others, I’m sure.
We’ve got a whole field full of other homemade salsa recipes, here are just a few!
- Summer Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Butter Tortilla Chips
- Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Mango and Peach Salsa over Oven-Baked Pork Chops
- Lentil Rice Cakes and Tomato Salsa
- Zucchini and Cheese and Salsa Bake
Grab a cucumber or two, then a handful of fresh garden friends. Mix them together n a bowl, give them a little seasoning and a light bath in some fresh lime juice. You’re going to love what you taste. Happy snacking, happy summer. -Dan
A few more of our favorite farmer’s market recipes:
Cool Cucumber Salsa
- 2-3 medium size cucumbers seeded and diced
- 2 medium size tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons each parsley and cilantro leaves, chopped
- juice from 1 lime and zest from 1 lime
- chopped dill weed to taste about 1 tablespoon
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Peel the cucumbers if you prefer. We opted to leave the peels on for added crunch, color, and nutrition. (The peel of cucumbers is loaded with vitamin K and insoluble fiber,) both of which are important components to sound health and wellness.
In lieu of chips, serve this salsa on chopped slices of fresh garden produce such as zucchini or other summer squash, and garden fresh cucumbers.
The salsa makes a great accompaniment to grilled pork, steak, or chicken.
Updated from original post of August 25, 2014