Balsamic Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts are as tasty as they are beautiful. Easy to make and inexpensive, this easy recipe is the perfect healthy holiday side dish.
Living in Wisconsin certainly has its challenges, mostly weather-related. But it also has its rewards.
Unparalleled scenic beauty, fresh farm eggs, locally sourced butter, and garden-fresh produce galore are just some of the benefits of living in America’s Dairyland.
Fresh is best
Many people don’t have access to fresh Brussels sprouts, but if you do then you know they are grown in stalks as shown above.
To harvest these, you simply twist each one until it breaks away from the plant. It’s just as easy as filling up a bag from your local grocery store produce bin!
What’s in this recipe
- Brussels Sprouts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Balsamic Vinegar
If you’re wondering how to cook Brussels sprouts, we like this super simple method of starting with a hot frying pan and finishing them off in a hot oven.
We try to use olive oil while cooking, whenever possible, because of it’s healthy profile.
How to make these
Start by slicing these in half, top to bottom. Next, you’re going to heat the olive oil in a frying pan until it simmers.
In a single layer, place them cut side down in the hot oil and add the garlic and salt and pepper.
You want to allow them to be brown on the bottoms by leaving them undisturbed until they have a nicely seared finish.
You’re going to finish roasting these in a 400° oven, for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Shake the pan a bit, every five minutes or so to help ensure an even roasting process and keep an eye on the sprouts because oven temperatures can vary.
Once they come out of the oven, they’re almost ready to serve. First, though, you’re going to slather them well with a healthy dose of quality and aged balsamic vinegar.
As with all recipes, make this easy side dish your own. Adjust the amounts of salt and pepper to your taste and the same hold true for the garlic.
For some delicious variations for this recipe, consider adding some chopped pancetta or some chopped bacon. Either will lend a nice flavor to this easy side dish.
Balsamic Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts Washed and sliced from top to bottom
- 5 tbsp olive oil enough to coat bottom of frying pan
- 10 cloves garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan, until it shimmers. Place sprouts cut side down and add garlic and salt and pepper. Cook undisturbed until cut edges of sprouts are lightly brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts and garlic to a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes, be sure to shake. the pan every five minutes or so and keep an eye on the sprouts to make sure they don’t get overdone.
- Remove from oven, place in a large bowl an toss in the balsamic vinegar. Add more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.