Grain-free recipes don’t have to be taste-free! Our gluten-free food ideas on Platter Talk will prove that theory. From easy gluten-free desserts like our easy peanut butter cookies to healthy seafood recipes like our healthy haddock, we have a variety of grain-free recipes for the whole family.
Making a gluten-free menu can be challenging, especially if you are just starting out. Here are my top five tips to help you navigate a gluten-free lifestyle:
- Understand What Gluten Is: Educate yourself about gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Understanding what gluten is and where it can be found will be fundamental to following a gluten-free diet.
- Read Labels Carefully: When shopping for groceries, make sure to read labels carefully to avoid products containing gluten. The FDA requires that foods labeled gluten-free contain less than 20 parts per million of gluten. Be aware of terms like “wheat flour,” “barley,” “rye,” and “malt” which indicate the presence of gluten.
- Cross-Contamination Awareness: Be mindful of cross-contamination. Even small amounts of gluten can cause symptoms in people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Use separate utensils, cutting boards, and toasters, and prepare gluten-free foods separately to avoid cross-contamination.
- Focus on Naturally Gluten-Free Foods: Emphasize naturally gluten-free foods in your diet, including fruits, vegetables, lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes, nuts, seeds, and most oils and fats.
- Seek Guidance from a Nutritionist or Dietitian: If you are new to a gluten-free diet, consulting with a healthcare provider or a dietitian who specializes in gluten-free diets can be incredibly beneficial. They can help you plan a balanced diet and ensure that you are meeting all of your nutrient needs.
Gluten-free recipes can be easy to make because so many delicious ingredients do not contain gluten.
Gluten-Free Can Mean Versatile
I’m always amazed at the number of gluten-free recipes without special ingredients.
I hope you’ll explore this section below to learn how easy it can be to cook a gluten-free diet.
Finally, for my friends and family who have to follow a gluten-free diet, I direct them to my friend Sandi’s website, Fearless Dining.
I’ve known Sandi for over ten years and am always amazed at the incredible family-friendly gluten free recipes she teaches people how to make.
30 Minute Meals