Easy Vegetable Quiche Recipe Without the Crust
on May 08, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Vegetable quiche is a light and healthy brunch item that is easy and inexpensive to make. You’ll get 8 servings out of this healthy recipe for only about $5.00!
This crustless veggie quiche is one of our vegetarian recipes. It is also gluten-free and tastes great. No matter what type of diet you follow. Read on and I’ll show you how to make it in one pan, in under an hour!
About this recipe
You can make this veggie quiche using just a handful of healthy ingredients. Because it is a no-crust quiche, it is gluten-free as well. It’s a light-tasting and easy brunch idea that won’t make you feel bloated and stuffed.
For quick clean-up, this easy brunch idea uses just a mixing bowl and a skillet. How much simpler can a healthy recipe be?!
We made this healthy recipe using the following ingredients, but you can pick and choose your favorites and make it your own veggie quiche.
Eggs – You’ll need five large eggs for this gluten-free recipe. Use large eggs and if possible, look for organic ones from free-range chickens.
Pro Cooking Tip: Use eggs that are at room temperature. This will ensure that your veggie quiche bakes more evenly and faster too. Here is an easy kitchen trick showing you how to get eggs to room temperature quickly.
Milk: Use whole milk or 2%. Using lower-fat milk takes away some of the creaminess and flavor of your vegetable quiche.
Cheese: You can use any type of cheese that you like. Cheddar, Swiss, and my personal favorite: Gruyère.
Veggies: In this vegetable quiche, we use Swiss chard, mushrooms, and spring leeks. Again, use whatever vegetables you have on hand. You’ll want to use between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of each, depending on the exact ones. Be sure and look at our Blitva recipe which also uses Swiss chard.
How to make it
You’ll want to saute the vegetables before adding them to the recipe. This will soften them and bring out more flavor for the finished dish. To do this, use a oven-safe skillet and follow our directions as shown below.
- Using a skillet, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil, over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 cups of Swiss chard and saute it for a couple of minutes until it shrinks in size. Remove from the skillet and set the Swiss chard aside.
- Using the same skillet, do the same thing to the mushrooms. Be sure to wipe the dirt off the mushrooms, if they are whole, before slicing.
- Finally, repeat this process with 1/2 cup of thinly sliced leeks.
5. Place 5 large eggs in a mixing bowl.
6. Add 1 cup of milk to the eggs.
7. Add to cups of shredded cheese to the milk and eggs.
8. Mix the egg mixture until creamy.
9. Add the sauteed veggies. Be sure they have cooled to room temp before mixing them with the eggs!
10. Stir the egg and vegetables together until well-combined. Then, pour the mixture back into the skillet.
11. For some added color and flavor, we top our veggie quiche with cherry tomatoes. The roasting process adds a sweet flavor and their color really dresses up this healthy brunch idea!
Variations and substitutions
Some other healthy ingredients to add to your veggie quiche can include:
- Sweet Bell Peppers
Yes! You can put this crustless veggie quiche together the night before. Just wrap and seal it and store in the fridge overnight. Take it out of refrigerator one hour before baking in a preheated oven.
This veggie quiche freezes well. Just bake it first and allow it to cool completely. Wrap and seal it well, then store in your freezer for up to 3 months.
This vegetable quiche is a great brunch idea that is usually served at room temperature. Some things that go good with quiche include a green salad, crusty bread, orange juice, and maybe some chocolate whiskey cake!
You can reheat this in the microwave or in the oven.
- To reheat the vegetable quiche in the microwave, use a high setting for 2 minutes.
- If using an oven, preheat it to 325° and place the leftovers in the oven for 15 minutes.
Here are a few of our favorite quiche recipes!
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas? Try our Ful Medames (Stewed Fava Beans).
Easy brunch ideas
If you’re looking for some easy brunch recipes to go with this this veggie quiche, any of the following make great options.
See our full collection of brunch and breakfast recipes.
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
No-Crust Veggie Quiche
- 2 cups Swiss chard, , thick stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2/ cup leeks, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice, we used Fontina
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, washed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat
- Sautee chard for 5 minutes until tender, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Repeat saute process for mushrooms and leeks, separately.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs then add milk, cheese, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Combine sauteed vegetables with egg mixture, blend well.
- Return entire mixture to skillet and evenly distribute tomatoes on top.
- Place quiche in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until firmly set.
- Serve immediately.
- Before mixing and adding the eggs, be sure they are at room temperature.
- Use block cheese and shred it yourself.
- Use 2% or whole milk for this crustless vegetable quiche.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This vegetable quiche recipe has been updated from the original post from June 30, 2015