It’s high summer here in Wisconsin which means just one thing when it comes to feeding our family: Grilling. Weather.
I was looking for some papaya recipes to accompany a grilled jerk chicken and I totally hit paydirt with this simple papaya salsa. If you’re looking to mix up your salsa game a bit then you are in luck.
What is this?
Confession time. This is my first of what I feel certain is going to be many papaya recipes. Holy delicious! You can actually taste the fun in your mouth with this papaya salsa
What’s in it?
The base ingredients for this papaya salsa are papaya, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro.
You can add a variety of flavors and spices to this papaya recipe. Simply adjust the amounts to your taste. Some suggestions include.
- Chili Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
How to make it
Use a small bowl and squeeze the juice out of a couple of lime. That tangy goodness is going to help the other ingredients get better acquainted. Next, chop up everything else except for the papaya and toss those ingredients in with the fresh lime juice. Mascerating the harsher aromatics like the garlic and scallions will take away their sharp edge and replace it with a mellow and pleasing finish.
Most of us have ground cloves in our pantry and you may even have whole cloves sitting there as well. You can use the ground cloves if you’re in a pinch but you’ll get a whole higher element of taste by using freshly crushed cloves instead. How do you crush whole cloves? Enter the rolling pin, into this recipe process!
Slice the papaya in half, scrape out the seeds and then peel the skin off with a pairing knife. Experiment and see if it’s easier for you to skin the papaya before slicing it in half. Doing it as I show in the photo above works best for me. The next thing you’ll do is dice the papaya into chunks, about a half-inch in size.
You’re almost finished at this point which is a good thing because things really take a sharp turn toward the delicious side. Grab a chip or tasting spoon and have a little sample of what’s in the bowl. Need more salt? A few more cloves? A touch more of cilantro? How about a little more ground pepper. As I always say when in the kitchen, “Make it your own!”
- Roasted Summer Salsa with Cucumber Chips
- Cool Cucumber Salsa
- Roasted Corn Salsa
- Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips
- Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
Looking for more Papaya Recipes? Here are just a few that I think you might like!
- Papaya Breakfast Bowl from Bowl me Over
- 10 Ways to Enjoy Papaya from Fruit and Veggies More Matters
- What are Some Good Papaya Recipes from the Kitchn
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Papaya Salsa Recipe
- 2 Papaya Peeled, seeded, cut into ½ chunks
- 2 Scallions fine chop
- 3 Garlic Cloves fine chop
- 1 Shallot fine chop
- 2 Limes for fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Cilantro fine chop
- Squeeze lime juice into a small bowl. then, chop up the cilantro, scallions, shallot, garlic. Add any additional aromatics, herbs, or seasoning that suit your taste. Add them to the lime juice and stir lightly.
- Add Papaya to the lime juice mixture, gently stir while adding salt and pepper to taste.