Chocolate & Coffee Whiskey Cake – Do you believe in God? I’m not ashamed to say that I do indeed and as I’ve grown older I’ve come to believe that He shows up in different forms and at different times.
Tonight, He dropped off a piece of heaven right in our very own kitchen. Don’t fret that you weren’t here. We have all the ingredients and the complete recipe for this miracle dessert.
This cake makes a strong case that it’s easier (and more delicious) to get to heaven than you could have ever imagined.
Chocolate & Coffee Whiskey Cake
People who know me really well may or may not be aware of the fact that I accidentally overdosed on chocolate at an early age, around 4 or 5.
Chocolate, Whiskey, Coffee & Cloves
Indeed, I was rushed to the emergency room, given a shot of epinepherine, directly in the buttocks (as Forest Gump might say,) and instructed by the white coat in attendance to abstain from all chocolate for six months. True story.
I don’t recall exactly but I’m pretty certain I failed to abstain for an entire six months. I’m thinking it may have been more along the lines of six days. Such is often the nature of any addiction.
We use a hand-held fine mesh strainer like the one shown below to evenly garnish this dessert (and others.) Order your from Amazon today!
Platter Talk is an Amazon affiliate and receives a very small commission on any sales which helps us to keep bringing you the best recipes and food ideas around!
No matter, my dependence to chocolate resumed right where it had left off and I can only be thankful it has not sent me to he hospital since.
By the grace of God, I don’t share the same affinity for whiskey. Never before in my presence had the twain united. Until tonight.
My, oh my! What a combination. Dark coffee, rich chocolate, a dash of ground cloves and ground black pepper. And whiskey.
When I saw this Chocolate & Coffee Whiskey Cake in The New York Times, I knew it wasn’t if I would recreate this dessert but rather when. I didn’t wait anywhere close to six days.
With the simplest of ingredients, you can create some of the most heavenly recipes. Cocoa, butter, sugar, eggs, chocolate, and whiskey. Those are the primary ingredients to this divine dessert.
Make it, and for the love of God, don’t wait six days. -Dan
Here are some of my other favorite cake recipes
(we have nearly 40 of them on Platter Talk!)
Chocolate & Coffee Whiskey Cake
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 1-inch pieces, more for pan
- 85 grams unsweetened cocoa powder about 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 ½ cups brewed strong coffee
- ½ cup Irish whiskey
- 200 grams granulated sugar about 1 cup
- 156 grams light brown sugar about 1 cup
- 240 grams all-purpose flour about 2 cups
- 8 grams baking soda about 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 3 grams fine sea salt about 3/4 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan. Dust with 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm coffee, Irish whiskey, 12 tablespoons butter and remaining cocoa powder, whisking occasionally, until butter is melted. Whisk in sugars until dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, pepper and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Slowly whisk egg mixture into chocolate mixture. Add dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, then remove sides of pan. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.