Steamed kale is an easy and flavorful side dish that’s great for any healthy meal plan.
Even better, this healthy kale recipe is ready in under half an hour and takes just a few inexpensive ingredients.
What does kale taste like?
If you’ve ever asked what does kale tastes like, let’s start with the family from which it comes.
A cruciferous vegetable, kale is a member of the Brassica family.
Other familiar healthy foods in this family include:
Nutrient-dense and packed with nutrients, kale has a bit of an earthy taste and is slightly bitter, and it can range from a meaty taste to one that is rich in flavor and texture.
Naturally, your method of cooking kale will influence its taste.
How to cook it
If you have ever wondered how to cook kale, there are many ways. These include sautéeing, baking, broiling, and of course steaming it.
Steamed kale has been shown to be effective in lowering cholesterol, and is nearly half as potent as certain cholesterol-lowering medications.
Here is a useful link to the many health benefits of kale.
- Olive Oil
- Crushed red pepper
How to make it
Remove the thick stems from the kale. Then chop the leaves. Start by washing it and then remove the thick, bitter stems. Then, chop the leaves.
Next, you will heat some olive oil in a dutch oven and wilt the kale over medium-high heat; this takes a couple of minutes.
After the kale is wilted, add the chopped garlic and sautée and stir for another minute. Then, add the lemon juice and water and bring to a boil.
Next, reduce heat, cover the Dutch oven, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
If you know me personally, you probably are aware that in the five-plus years since we started Platter Talk, my waistline has proportionally increased with our followers.
Not a good thing.
We love our readers, and we enjoy creating new recipes, but something has to give, and to that end, I’ve decided to be more health-conscious in the kitchen.
With this in mind, we hope to focus a bit more on healthy eating, and that’s where this easy and flavorful kale recipe comes into play.
This kale recipe is a simple and healthy recipe. The lemon juice and zest play off the crushed red peppers and leave your palate wondering just what will come with the next crunchy bite.
For me, I’m hoping that will be better health and one more tasty recipe from Platter Talk that our readers will love.
FAQ about Kale
Can you freeze kale?
Yes, you can freeze kale.
- Frozen kale can be stored in the freezer for up to 12 monrths if you blanche the kale before freezing.
- Blanche the stems for 3 minutes.
- Blanche the leaves for 2.5 minutes.
- You don’t have to blanche the kale if you plan on using it within four weeks.
Why does kale make you gassy?
Kale might make gassy because of it’s high fiber content.
- One cup of raw kale has almost 15% of the recommended daily fiber for an adult!
How do you store Kale?
Wrap the kale in a paper towel and store it in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator.
Favorite kale recipes
If you are wondering what to do with kale, we have a few more kale recipes for you to try. If you have never cooked with kale then jump in, everyone has to start some place.
- Roasted Kale
- Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Quinoa and Kale Stuffed Starburst Squash
Helpful links for this steamed kale recipe
If you’ve tried this recipe for Steamed Kale or any other recipe on Platter Talk, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what we have cooking.
See our full collection of side dish recipes!
- 1 bunch kale washed, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic rough chop
- ½ lemon juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- ⅔ cup water
- Using a Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Stir in kale and stir with wooden spoon until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Add chopped garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add lemon juice, crushed red pepper and, water. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low simmer, cover Dutch oven and cook for 15 minutes or to desired texture.
- Serve immediately and garnish with lemon zest.