Toasted Cheese Sandwich with Kale
on Feb 05, 2016, Updated Jan 02, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe – Grilled and toasted cheese sandwiches are something we all grew up with. For those of us with kids, this iconic American entrée has followed us well into adulthood. It only seems fitting then that we mixed things up just a bit, to create this Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe.
Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe
We’ve used kale a few times in the past. Once again while using a healthy and readily available component such as kale that we don’t feature frequently, we had to ask ourselves why do we not use this more often? In the event you aren’t familiar with kale, it is one of those dark, green and leafy vegetables that we all learned about in health class. Kale is actually one of those super-foods, haled as some to be the “Queen of Greens,” and the “New Beef,” it is without any question at all a nutritionally-packed powerhouse of a vegetable.
This Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe is a veritable meal, unto it’s own. Packed with savory, caramelized vegetables, super-healthy kale, and extra-sharp cheddar cheese, we chose to hold this all together between two skillet-toasted slices of Asaiago artisan bread.
Besides being a completely delicious and nutritionally sound meal, with this Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe I was able to use my new Dutch oven-style enamel-based skillet who I have affectionately named William (in honor of his place of birth, William -Sonoma.) It’s one of the best Christmas gifts I’ve ever received from myself.
Amaze yourself, your husband, your wife, your boyfriend, girlfriend, neighbor, friend or lover. Few people would believe that a toasted cheese sandwich is capable of rising to such a level. This Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Recipe will effectively and deliciously prove the point with only one question asked, “How did you make this?!” Enjoy. -Dan
Other delicious sandwiches
- Dijon Chicken Pita Sandwiches
- Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
- Hot Turkey Sandwich Recipe for Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- Black Bean Breakfast Sandwich & Meatless and High Protein
Toasted Cheese sandwich with Kale
- olive oil
- kosher or sea salt
- 1 fennel bulb, thin wedge cut.
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 medium-large kale leaves. Washed, stemmed, 1/4" width slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4- 6 slices Wisconsin extra sharp cheddar cheese, 4-6 oz.
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium flame.
- Add fennel and onion, stir to caramelize until onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Season with salt as desired.
- Add kale, stir until soft and bright green.
- Remove vegetables from skillet, cover to keep warm.
- Add butter to skillet.
- Place bread in skillet, flipping each side to pan toast.
- Divide cheese and place on top of two of the four slices. Crown with caramelized vegetable. Top each portion with remaining 2 slices of bread.
- Cover skillet, and over low heat, cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.