Black Bean Breakfast Sandwich is a misnomer of sorts. Don't get me wrong, it's completely delicious, it's easy to make, loaded with protein and fiber but it doesn't have to be exclusively for breakfast. I made this for a rare meatless Monday dinner and may I just say the reviews were stellar.
This Black Bean Breakfast Sandwich recipe begins with a protein-rich, reduced sodium can of black beans. The beans do a quick twirl in a food processor with an egg, some breadcrumbs and some seasoning before getting panned seared in a hot skillet.
Ultimately, they end up sandwiched within a reduced calorie, whole wheat English muffin, topped with a slice of cheese and crowned with a poached egg. This Black Bean Breakfast Sandwich goes together in about 10 minutes, making it ideal for a fast and nutritious breakfast entree or a great lunch or dinner for later in the day. I hope you will give this one a try and as always - let me know what you think. -Dan
Other delicious sandwiches
Black Bean Breakfast Sandwich - Meatless and High Protein
for the Black Bean Burger
- 1 can reduced-sodium black beans drained
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley leaves
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup fresh corn optional
- 4 individually wrapped cheese slices
- 4 whole wheat English muffins
- 4 eggs
- Place all ingredients for burger in food processor.
- Pulse-process to desired consistency
- Using large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high setting.
- Pan sear optional corn if desired, remove from pan and set aside.
- From patties from burger mixture, about ¾ inch think and 3 inches in diameter.
- Sear patties in hot skillet for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Leave in skillet, remove from heat. Place a cheese slice over each patty.
- Toast English Muffins
- Poach the eggs, place burgers on English muffins then top with the eggs.
- Serve immediately.
Everything I love here! Thanks for sharing.
This sandwich looks very delicious and is a healthy one. Loved it.
Oh my goodness that perfectly poached egg sends this yummy bk sandwich right over the top! It looks delicious and what a protein rich way to start the day!!
I love the idea of topping a bean burger with an egg. That runny yolk is making me hungry!
This looks so delicious and would be great for any meal breakfast, lunch or dinner. A great meat free choice, thanks for the recipe!
This sounds great! I'd probably kick up the spice a couple of notches, but then my tastebuds can take a lot of heat! Giving this a try soon!