Let your slow cooker do the work while you live your life. Easy and Delicious!
This past April weekend the sun came out and the weather turned warm. That meant we could get outside and do some much needed spring yard clean up. If I could help it, there was no way that I was going to be stuck inside and with this in mind, I did a little planning ahead for the evening’s meal. I looked to my old friend, our trusty crock pot, to help me out while we enjoyed the great outdoors.
What we love about this recipe:
- It’s Easy
- It’s Delicious
- It’s Economical (We fed 5 kids, 2 adults, and a chilhuahua for a little over $2 per serving, for a complete meal.)
- It’s Great for Leftovers (don’t count on there being many.)
Earlier in the week, I purchased a small pork roast. Honestly, I bought it because it was on sale and not because I knew how I was going to prepare it. You know those impulse buys at the grocery store that I am talking about? That one item that wasn’t on your shopping list, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. probably because you were hungry while shopping. I don’t know about you, but those purchases usually sit in my refrigerator or go directly to our freezer, only to never see the light of day again.
With the weather so nice, my mind immediately wen to summer. Now, I know that I am jumping the gun here, summer is a couple of months away. But the day was beautiful and I was bound to spend it outside with the boys.
“…we took the first bite of this slow cooker pulled pork sandwich and there were no questions, just the satisfying sounds of mmmm.”
With the warm and sunny weather on my mind, I thought of what the kids like to eat in the summer. That was easy: barbecue. However, we were going to be too busy to pull out the grill along with the requisite culinary steps. Thus, I thought of the next best thing: pulled pork sandwiches, in the crockpot.
You know my MO by now, use what we have on hand which is what led me to the pantry and let my imagination run free. I first grabbed some brown sugar. Yes, brown sugar (don’t judge me). I wanted there to be a little sweetness to these sandwiches. Then, some usual subjects came out…..onion, garlic, salt, pepper, barbeque sauce, and one not-so-usual subject, a can of clear soda (Sierra Mist), again that’s how my imagination works.
As I put the ingredients into the crock pot, the kids questioned some of my choices, especially the brown sugar and soda. However, at the end of the day when we were sitting on our back deck admiring our handy work in the back yard, we took the first bite of this slow cooker pulled pork sandwich and there were no questions, just the satisfying sounds of mmmm. Neither were there any doubts that these were the best pulled pork sandwiches we have ever had, I know that you will agree when you make this for your family. -Scott
Other delicious sandwich recipes
- Turkey & Lime Slow Cooker Sandwiches
- Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
- Caramelized Fennel, Onion & Kale Toasted Cheese Sandwich Reci
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 3 Lb boneless pork roast
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white soda Sierra Mist
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce your favorite
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place pork roast in crockpot.
- Add brown sugar, garlic, onion, soda, salt and pepper.
- Place lid on crockpot and cook on high until the roast is fork tender and falling apart, approximately 4 to 5 hours.
- Using 2 forks, shred the pork into small pieces and add BBQ sauce.
- Add more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Serve with cole slaw and some provolone cheese.