Fried Cabbage with Bacon is the perfect dish for fall.
Using just a handful of ingredients, this cabbage recipe goes together in only 20 minutes leaving you more “me time” for such a busy time of year.
This easy cabbage recipe is part of a recent night of cooking at our house which also included a braised pork recipe and German potato dumplings.
May I just say that all three of these recipes get along quite nicely.
What’s in this Fried Cabbage Recipe?
- Red cabbage
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley (optional)
To Make This Fried Cabbage with Bacon
Start by slicing up about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of thick bacon.
When it comes to bacon recipes, I will always lean toward adding more bacon vs. less.
Don’t judge me.
We fry this bacon in a large skillet, but if you wonder how to cook bacon, we show another easy (and less messy) way to make bacon in the oven, with our oven-fried bacon.
Remove the bacon and allow it to drain, but save a couple of tablespoons or more of the grease to make the fried cabbage.
Next, you are going to cut the cabbage.
How to Cut Cabbage
While the bacon is draining, it’s time to cut the cabbage. We slice a cone shape hole around the core of the cabbage and then remove it.
This post does another nice job of showing how to cut cabbage for this fried cabbage with bacon.
Once the core is out, make thin slices through the rest of the cabbage.
Stir Fry The Cabbage
Next, you’re going to fry the cabbage in the hot skillet for about 6 to 8 minutes.
Add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the hot cabbage and give it an occasional stir until it is crisp-tender to the bite.
Stir in some salt and pepper to taste. I always recommend fresh ground black pepper and Kosher salt which has larger grains.
Now, transfer the fried cabbage to a serving dish, top it with the bacon and crown it with a beautiful sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley leaves.
More Cabbage Recipes from Platter Talk
- Golumpki (Gołąbki, Stuffed Cabbage)
- Savory Cabbage and Bacon with Onion
- Golumpki (Stuffed Cabbage) Soup
- Stuffed Cabbage Casserole (Lazy Golumpki)
Other Savory Side Dishes for You to Try
- 10 Savoy Side Dishes from She Knows
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole from An Affair from the Heart
- How to Make Swiss Chard from Bowl Me Over
- 16 Savory Starters and Side Dishes
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 1 head Cabbage about 1 pound
- 4 oz Bacon thick cut, sliced and fried.
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar (that's the dark vinegar!)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley Leaves chopped
- Use a large skillet to fry chopped bacon, over medium-high heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and keep the skillet hot.
- Core a head of cabbage, slice the leaves and then place in the hot skillet. Stir until crisp-tender, add vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove fried cabbage to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley and serve.