Today I'm showing you how to make lemon cookies from cake mix. It's another easy cookie recipe that's perfect to help get your kids in the kitchen. These are one of our favorite ways to use lemons.
Of course I'll always use any excuse I can find to make bake desserts that are this good!
What are these?
These lemon crinkle cookies look and taste just like the ones your grandmother made. There is a good reason for this: This probably is your grandma's recipe!
Ready to dunk in 20 minutes, these should be mandatory in all American households. I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to such things, in case you haven't noticed.
Ingredients and notes
One thing that makes this recipe so great is the ingredient list. Or, how small it is. There are only five!
- Cake Mix - Any brand will work for this recipe.
- Eggs - Use large to medium-size eggs and remember: Organic cage-free eggs are always best. Even better is to buy your eggs from someone who has chickens!
- Lemon Juice - Squeeze your own if possible, fresh is always best. You only need one lemon for this recipe. For extra flavor and flare, garnish these with some fresh zest after they cool!
How to make them
(Full recipe at end of post)
If you can plan ahead an hour or two, let the eggs come to room temperature before using them. This will help the cookies to bake more evenly.
Pro Baking Tip: How to bring eggs to room temperature quickly.
- Mix all the ingredients except the powdered sugar.
- Make a ball of dough for each cookie and roll it in the powdered sugar.
- Place the them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes until the bottoms are lightly brown.
Common recipe questions
Use a white, lemon-flavored cake mix to make these.
You can use 1 teaspoon of lemon extract.
You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze until ready to use. Roll each cookie portion in the powdered sugar after thawing.
- Seal in an air-tight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
A Few of our Other Favorite Lemon Desserts
These lemon cake mix cookies are perfect for bake sales, birthday parties, work parties, and so much more! If you love cake mix cookies, be sure and take a look at our Stuffed Peppermint Patti Cookies!
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Lemon Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
- 1 Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- 1 box Lemon cake mix
- 2 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (or 1 teaspoon lemon extract)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375° and allow your eggs to come to room temperature.
- Add eggs, oil and lemon juice (or extract) and mix until well blended.
- Drop teaspoons full of dough in powdered sugar and form into cookie balls. Roll until lightly covered. Once sugared put on an ungreased cookie sheet ( You can use parchment paper on a cookie sheet).
- Bake for about 10 until bottoms are lightly browned. (My oven takes 12 mins)then move to a cooling rack.
- You can use 1 teaspoon of lemon extract if you don't have fresh lemon juice.
- Rolling in powdered sugar is optional.
- Top with fresh garlic zest after they come out of the oven, for extra flavor.