Cake mix cookies are the perfect addition to your Christmas cookie collection. This recipe has just five ingredients and will take only 20 minutes of your time to bake.
As a bonus, they come with a soft, gooey, and minty surprise in the center!
Make this recipe in just 20 minutes.
If you’re afraid of making homemade cookies this recipe is for you. Knowing how to make cookies with a cake mix takes the guess work out of everything!
Soft and chewy with a yummy treat inside, this recipe will make 14 cookies. You’ll want to make a double batch of these for sure!
If you’re looking for an edible gift, try this fast and easy recipe!
- Chocolate cake mix
- Baking powder
- Canola oil
- York Peppermint Pattie Minis
How to make these
Gather the short list of ingredients and then preheat your oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and put your baking hat on!
- Start by combining the egg and the oil in a mixing bowl. Stir them up well using whisk. In a separate mixing bowl, add the cake mix and baking soda. Be sure and stir them together as well.
- Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Mix the two together to form a nice batter.
Pro baking hints
Always use a rubber spatula to scrape the edge of the bowl when mixing batter. You’ll want to be sure an stir in any small lumps of dry mix into the batter for every ounce of goodness.
4. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, and place them on the prepared cookie sheet leaving a couple of inches between them. Flatten each portion and place in min-Peppermint Patti in the center of each one.
5. Next, fold the dough over to completely cover the Peppermint Patti. For a holiday flair, you can add some optional sprinkles like we do here.
Bake these for about 10 minutes at 350°.
If you’re not a fan of Peppermint Patties, you can substitute any number of other treats inside.
- Dove Chocolates
- M & Ms
- Tootsie Rolls
- Peanut Butter
Common recipe questions
Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and replace this mixture with the egg.
Add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise to this recipe for added moisture and a homemade taste. This is one of the secrets for how to make fast and easy homemade cookies with a cake mix!
We have many more Christmas and Holiday Cookies that you will love. Some of our favorites include:
Follow this link for more York Peppermint Pattie Recipes
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
20 Minute Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- 14 York Peppermint Patties minis
- sprinkles for decorarting
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl and set aside. Next, using a separate mixing bowl, combine eggs and oil and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Take some dough and form a small ball, about 1 inch in diameter. Place on prepared cookie sheet, flatten it out and set a peppermint pattie in the center. Fold the dough over to completely cover the mint and top each cookie with a pinch of colored sprinkles.
- Place in pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow each chocolate cookie to cool slightly before transferring to wire rack. Then, allow to cool completely.
- These cookies can be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 10 days.
- Freeze these cookies for up to two months.