Snowball Cookies have been a Christmas tradition in our family for over half a century. If you’ve wondered how to get your whole family together in one room (your kitchen,) we have the perfect solution.
Plus, you can make this holiday treat from start to finish in under 30 minutes! Read on and we’ll show you how it’s done.
As we baked, we joked and laughed as she reminded me of Christmas past, as well as many forgotten family recipes.
Even better, I give you the story, in my mom’s own words, how she came up with this family classic.
It was many Christmas seasons ago, I can’t tell you exactly.
While I was making a double batch of butter cookie dough, I thought that it would be nice to use my cookie cutters and get the kids involved in some Christmas cookie decorating.
Grandma, Dad, and Platter Talk Kid, Asher.
However, while I was trying to roll out the dough, I was having a very rough time.
I knew that I was in trouble.
The dough was not only getting stuck to the rolling pin and counter, but also to the cookie cutters.
I did not want to start all over, mainly because at that time we didn’t have a great deal of money and the cost of the ingredients was a luxury.
In an attempt to save the batch, I decided to roll this dough into small balls and bake them.
When they came out of the oven I made sure they were cooled enough then I dipped them in powdered sugar.
My kids have always been my biggest critics. They tell me what is good and what is not.
I wasn’t sure what their reaction would be to these “mistakes,” which Dan and Scott are now calling snowball cookies.
To my surprise, each and every one of them loved them.
The next day I took a variety of holiday treats to my mother’s house, including my newly created “Butterball cookies.”
I really did not know what she was going to say. Again, to my surprise she loved them. They became my mother’s favorite cookie. She would ask me to bake them for her not only at Christmas but anytime she had a taste for something sweet.
Try this Snowball Christmas Cookie recipe it’s easy, I know you will love them. These are light and enjoyable. -Mary, Scott’s mom.
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and powder sugar together
- Add egg and vanilla to the creamed sugar and butter mixture. Mix to incorporate
- Add salt to the flour and slowly add flour and mix until all flour is added and mixture pulls together
- Mix in ground nuts until fully distributed into the batter
- Using your hands create little balls, approximately 1 inch round, by rolling the batter in between your hands
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, leaving an inch between each cookie
- Bake for approximately 14-18 minutes. They will flatten a little on the bottom and be golden. When cooled, roll in powder sugar
- These snowball cookies will store for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
- Freeze them for up to three months.