Orange Snowball Cookies
on Dec 14, 2016, Updated Dec 20, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Orange Snowball Cookies Recipe is a fresh new spin on a holiday classic that is sure to make Santa extra happy this Christmas Eve.
Orange Snowball Cookies Recipe
Oranges have long been connected with Christmas, thanks to St. Nicholas who is credited by many for starting the tradition of leaving these as gifts in stockings that were hung above the fireplace.
Back in the days of the Great Depression when money was scarce, oranges were commonly passed along as a gift of a rare luxury and nutritious food.
The holiday season is often associated with falling snow, special cookies and a time of gift giving. This Orange Snowball Cookies Recipe combines all of these elements into a delicious holiday cookie.
Our Snowball Christmas Cookies that we put together with Scott’s mom a while back have been getting a lot of attention all over the Internet, lately.
There’s a very good reason for this: They’re mouthwatering and delicious. Recently when our friends from The Daily Meal asked us to come up with snow-themed recipe, we used these cookies as a base and jazzed them up a notch or two.
Using our handy kitchenmicroplane
, we gave these snowball cookies a whole new flavor, using the zest of a fresh orange.
- Powdered Sugar
- Orange Zest
- Orange Juice
- Granulated Sugar
This Orange Snowball Cookies Recipe could hardly be any easier or more delicious and we hope you give them a try this holiday season. Santa will thank you for these and its very possible that Rudolph will fall for these as well, who could blame him?
Orange Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1/2 of a small orange
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Edible glitter , (yellow or white.) Optional.
- 2 tbsp Orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Using bowl mixer, combine butter and powdered sugar until creamed together.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon of orange peel, reserving the remaining.
- Mix in orange juice, then gradually add flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Roll dough into small (golf ball size) rounds and place on non-greased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until firm.
- While cookies are baking, combine granulated sugar and remaining orange peel, place in small food processor and incorporate fully. If you don’t have a food processor, mix the two together in a small bowl.
- When the cookies are finished baking, allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet. While cookies are still warm, roll them in the sugar and orange peel mixture.
- Garnish with optional edible glitter and/or some orange zest.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.