I would love to say that I don’t like to snack. That would be a blatant untruth. My workplace is flooded with snacks, a hazardous workplace of sorts to be certain. That said, we don’t have a lot of snacks around our house and it is a rarity when I make a bona fide snack. We get all sorts of requests here on Platter Talk. Some people ask for quinoa recipes. Some want specific cakes, others ask for things on the grill. When I was asked to put some snack ideas together, as odd as this sounds, I was at a loss for what to make.
Like almost all of my “recipe blocks” (as seldom as they may be) this one lasted for only a very short time. Indeed, I found one that has only a few ingredients, uses things that are all common to our pantry, and includes no fewer than two of my favorite things on earth: Chocolate and lemons.
Because this was and easy, and in all likelihood because this was a designated snack recipe, our sixth-grader Joe volunteered to be my most eager of assistants. To both son and dad’s delight, this little snack recipe was a hit. Give these crunchy little treats a a try; they’re sure to please the snack lover in all of you. Happy crunching and happy summer. -Dan.
Lemon Crunch Buddies
- 7 cups square rice cereal such as chex mix, etc. We use Festival brand Rice Crunch Buddies.
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate baking bits or chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In large mixing bowl add cereal pieces
- In small sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate together, stir in lemon juice and 1/2 of lemon zest, reserve remaining zest.
- Pour chocolate and butter mixture over cereal, mix gently with rubber spatula.
- Add powdered sugar and continue to gently mix until cereal is well covered.
- Serve and garnish with remaining lemon zest.