What is this?
I would love to say that I don’t like to snack. That would be a blatant untruth.
We get all sorts of requests here on Platter Talk. Some people ask for quinoa recipes. Some want specific cakes, others ask for things on the grill. When I was asked to put some snack ideas together, as odd as this sounds, I was at a loss for what to make.
Like almost all of my “recipe blocks” (as seldom as they may be) this one lasted for only a very short time. Indeed, I found one that has only a few ingredients, uses things that are all common to our pantry and includes no fewer than two of my favorite things on earth: Chocolate and lemons.
Because this was an easy, and in all likelihood, because this was a designated snack recipe, our sixth-grader Joe volunteered to be my most eager of assistants. To both son and dad’s delight, this little snack recipe was a hit. Give these crunchy little treats a try; they’re sure to please the snack lover in all of you. Happy crunching and happy summer. -Dan.
Lemon Crunch Buddies
- 7 cups square rice cereal such as chex mix, etc. We use Festival brand Rice Crunch Buddies.
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate baking bits or chips
- ¼ cup butter
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In large mixing bowl add cereal pieces
- In small sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate together, stir in lemon juice and ½ of lemon zest, reserve remaining zest.
- Pour chocolate and butter mixture over cereal, mix gently with rubber spatula.
- Add powdered sugar and continue to gently mix until cereal is well covered.
- Serve and garnish with remaining lemon zest.