Easy Calzones using store-bought biscuit dough are a fun and delicious activity to help get your kids in the kitchen. As an added benefit, this also happens to be a fast and delicious family meal.
We love having our kids help out in the kitchen. It’s a great opportunity to spend time with them and provide them with some important life skills that they can pass on to kids of their own someday. We also love all things Italian, including a similar recipe we showed you how to make some time ago, Calzones Anyone Can Make.
To Make These Easy Calzones:
Roll out a portion of canned biscuit dough.
Spread pizza sauce on the rolled out dough.
Add pepperoni, shredded cheese, and pizza flavoring.
Using your finger tip, wet all edges of the dough with water.
Fold over, crimp edges with a fork, and tuck crimped edges under the calzone.
Bake at 375℉ for 15-20 minutes.
Dip in some marinara sauce.
Have a big delicious bite.
This recipe truly can be prepped and prepared by the kids with very little supervision. However, depending on how old your kids are, they may need help getting the calzones in and out of the oven. Each biscuit, once rolled out, is the perfect individual portion and once baked they stay soft and delicious. It is great for anyone that may think that pizza dough is too chewy or tough.
Our kids are purists. They treat calzones just like pizza. They are happy with simple fillings like cheese and pepperoni. However, you can fill them with anything your heart desires. It’s amazing how quickly the process went. In no time the kids had transformed all of the biscuits and turned them into calzones. No one complained because everyone was able to fill their Easy Calzone with what they wanted and liked.
Our Easy Calzones are a great way to get your kids in the kitchen. Let them have some fun and make dinner for your family. I am sure that they will love it just as much as our kids do. Enjoy. -Scott
Biscuit Dough Calzones
- 1 can buttermilk biscuits
- 16 oz Pizza sauce
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 oz Pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Open canned biscuits
- On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll out each biscuit to a thickness of around 1/4 inch.
- Place a spoonful of pizza sauce on the rolled out dough, staying away from all the edges.
- Fill center of the calzone with filling of choice.
- Using a little water dampen your finger.
- Take your dampened finger and wet all edges of the dough. This will help seal your dough together.
- Fold your dough over to form a half circle.
- Using a fork, crimp the edges to assure that the calzone is sealed. You could also use your fingers.
- Place on a ungreased cookie sheet or pizza stone in your over.
- Cook until the calzones are golden brown approximately 13-15 minutes.
- Serve with pizza sauce to dip.
- Sauteed onions
- Browned sausage