This Black Bean and Roasted Corn Chowder is a fast and flavor soup that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
About this soup
It’s time once again for our seasonal Freaky Friday recipe, the quarterly recipe recreation within a group of other food sites to which we belong. For this summer version of Freaky Friday, we were secretly assigned to Honey and Birch and we had a heck of a time deciding which of their recipes we wanted to make for you.
If ever there was such a thing of too much of a good thing, the recipe index of this wonderful food site would surely qualify. Ultimately we went with their Black Bean Corn Chowder Recipe. I’m a big fan of black beans and in fact, I may have been known to eat them right out of the can a time or two before. Please, don’t judge me.
I’ve never been good at copying anything, recipes included. It just feels too confining to make the exact same recipe that someone else has created and so like I almost always do, I put my own spin on this soup by roasting the corn on the grill (along with a few of the other ingredients).
Doing this not only allowed for making great use of our beautiful summer weather but also added a sweet flavor to this roasted corn chowder, thanks to the caramelization that results from a hot flame.
Ironically, in the past, we have swum in similar culinary waters here on Platter Talk. A few summers ago we put together this sensational Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salsa. Fast forward a year or so and we are trading in the tortilla chip for a soup bow!
When I think of recipes for the grill, it seems that soup is one thing that never comes to mind. How wrong I was! Initially, I was just going to grill the corn for this roasted corn chowder. Then, I remembered how much I love the taste of roasted sweet peppers. Next, as I was dicing the baby reds, I thought, “Why not?” and before I knew it I had those on a grill pan as well.
I’ve never heard of grill soup before but essentially, that’s exactly what this roasted corn chowder turned out to be. Surprise yourself too and give this one a try but first, pop on over to Honey and Birch and have fun drooling at all of their incredible food ideas. Happy summer and happy grilling! -Dan
Black Bean & Roasted Corn Chowder
- 6 oz bacon coarse dice
- ½ cup green onion fine dice
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby red potatoes coarse dice, skin on and roasted
- 15 oz low sodium black beans drained
- 2 ears sweet corn roasted
- 1 sweet bell pepper roasted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Fire up grill to medium high heat and roast the corn, pepper, and potatoes. Slice the corn of the cob when ready and remove skin from pepper and dice. Set potatoes, corn and pepper aside.
- In large soup pot over medium heat, add bacon and stir for about 10 minutes until crispy. Drain excess fat. Add green onions and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Adjust salt and pepper to your preference and cook over low heat about 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld. Garnish with additional red pepper flakes and/or green onions if desired.