Hero Sub Salad Recipe
on Aug 29, 2014, Updated Jul 01, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It seems that every town has a hero sub shop of one type or another; all serving the ubiquitous hero submarine sandwich with which we are all familiar. There is a lighter form of the familiar hero sub which you can throw together with just a few key ingredients. It has all the flavor, all the texture and all the beauty but it is served on a plate or bowl instead of within the center of an entire baguette. It’s the hero salad and if you’re a fan of subs, you’re going to love this one.
It seems that no one is certain where or when the term hero became synonymous with submarine sandwich. It’s believed to have come about in New York, sometime back in the 1930s when the hero sub started becoming popular, particularly in Italian neighborhoods.
Hero Sub Salad
for the salad
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, small, diced
- 1 cup hard salami, diced
- 2 oz Provolone cheese, diced
- 2 oz black olives, (Small handful) pitted and sliced
for the hero sub salad dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, dried
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- black ground pepper to taste
- Toss salad ingredients in large bowl.
- Using small bowl, whisk together hero sub salad dressing ingredients.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Take a look at all of our easy and delicious salad recipes!