Scott has been talking about this stuffed pepper idea for the last week. or so in this house and today we are showing you how to make a dinner recipe that you are definitely going to want to try. These Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Rings are simple yet elegant and most important, downright delicious. They’re perfect to feed the family or to to make as an easy but impressive dinner party meal.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Rings
We are making this recipe on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of April and in the middle of a bona fide blizzard. Yes, that’s right a blizzard in the middle of April.
The schools are closing for tomorrow and whether I make it into the hospital to do my anesthesia job is yet to be determined. Considering the roads are closed and I haven’t seen a plow go past our house in hours, I’m not too optimistic about going anywhere for a while.
And so with a rare April blizzard causing all sorts of trouble outside, this is what’s going on in our warm and cozy kitchen today. By the way, have I mentioned to you lately that Scott is, among other things, a naturally-gifted cook?
Yes, he puts up with my occasional singing outbursts, my general state of messiness and even my erratic work schedule. He never complains about my frequent midnight trips to the fridge where I often discover the leftovers that he may may or may not have carelessly left unattended.
Besides all of this, the man can can really cook. Scott has more than 30 recipes on Platter Talk and it is no coincidence that many of our most popular recipes come from him. Yep, I’m a lucky guy and I don’t take a single morsel of his goodness for granted.
Easy dinner party meal or family supper
When he cooks, Scott tends to keep it on the simple and inexpensive side. And most important, on the delicious side. Today, my best friend hit another home run with these Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Rings. You have to try them. Make them for supper or make them to entertain and serve as a beautiful and delicious dinner party meal.
Take my advice and don’t count on any leftovers from this meal. It just isn’t going to happen.
As I said earlier, this is a recipe we have been talking about for a good week or so and today we are putting it together with whatever ingredients we have on hand. As we discovered, this turned out to be the perfect storm. No pun intended, given our current weather conditions.
Main Ingredients for Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Rings
Sweet Bell Peppers
Italian Sausage (we use Italian turkey sausage)
Marinara sauce (we use our homemade marinara recipe )
Brown rice (Use your Instant Pot for this if you have. one, you’ll get amazing results in 20 minutes.)
Herbs, spices, breadcrumbs, and an egg
I’m not sure if you have noticed or not, but we are becoming more and more enamored with our Instant Pot. We use it for the brown rice portion of this recipe and every time we make rice in this new kitchen tool, it turns out perfect.
To make brown rice in the instant pot
Use 1 cup of water.
With 1 cup of brown rice.
Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
Do a natural release for 5 minutes.
That’s all there is to it, for light, chewy and healthy brown rice. It sure beats cooking on the stove for an hour!
You will also notice that we use Italian turkey sausage in these stuffed pepper rings. You can use any kind of sausage that you have on hand. We have gotten use to to the flavor of turkey sausage and the lighter fat content helps us to at least feel a little healthier about what we are eating. In fact, we have more than a few sausage recipes here on Platter Talk for you to choose from.
We bake this version of stuffed peppers for about an hour at 350°. The first 45 minutes, they are covered with foil, this helps to prevent them from drying out. Once they are finished baking, we sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of each mound and then place them under a hot broiler for just a minute or so until the cheese begins to brown.
If you care to dress this entree up a bit, sprinkle a little bit of chopped fresh parsley on it, like we did. It’s easy to transform this ordinary classic comfort food into a a more elegant dish that’s perfect for company or a special dinner with friends and family.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Rings
- 3 Sweet bell peppers
- 1 lb Turkey Italian Sausage bulk or links
- 2 cups Marinara sauce divided, and extra for serving.
- 1.25 cups Brown rice cooked
- 1.25 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 white onion fihe chop
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare brown rice either on stove top or in Instant Pot.
- Use a serrated knife and cut pepper segments to form rings, about 1.5 inch in thickness, and remove pith from inside of rings. Discard ends and then set the rings aside.
- Remove sausage from links (or use bulk) and place in medium-size mixing bowl. Add 1/4 marinara sauce and reserve the rest.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup marinara sauce in an 11 x 13" baking pan and spread evenly. Evenly set the cut pepper rings on top of the sauce. Next, using a small handful of the meat mixture, form a small ball and place in each pepper ring, ensuing a uniform amount for each portion.
- Use about a cup of reserved marinara sauce and top each portion evenly. Cover baking pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then, remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove the stuffed pepper rings from oven and raise the oven rack to the highest position possible. Turn the oven broiler to low and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on each mound of meat. Place in oven, under broiler, for 2 or 3 minutes until the cheese just starts to brown. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Serve with additional (warmed) marinara sauce if desired.