What are these?
I have found myself exercising a fair amount of personal confession, here on Platter Talk. Here is another one: I have never worked with fresh cranberries, until today. Having lived in Wisconsin for over 15 years now, I have become somewhat familiar with the fact that this state produces more cranberries than any other. One of my son’s former teachers came from a family that owns and operates a cranberry bog, somewhere in the western part of Wisconsin. Visiting a bog has since been etched onto my culinary bucket list and should make for an interesting post 🙂
I have mentioned on here, in the past, that I am a native of maple syrup country, northern New York state to be exact, in the foothills of the Adirondack mountains where maple syrup production is second only to Vermont in quantity and second to none in quality. With these pancakes, I put together an accompanying cranberry infused maple syrup. May I just make one reflection? Delicious, with a bold and CAPITAL D. Besides being incredible in flavor, for me it was an experience of my native New York coming face to face with my state of residence, Wisconsin.
Cranberries and maple syrup get along quite nicely. With a little orange zest thrown into the batter of these cranberry pancakes, it’s a bona fide party.
This recipe called for buttermilk. Guess what I had none of, in my kitchen refrigerator? To get around this, I combined one tablespoon of vinegar to a cup or milk – tadah!! Instant buttermilk. My taste buds were none the wiser and I don’t think the flavor of these pancakes suffered in the least.
This is an excellent recipe for cranberry pancakes.. Not heavy by any means, the light citrus tones imparted by the orange zest commingle beautifully with the softly cooked cranberries. The two flavors combined provide a perfect balance to the sweetness of the pure maple syrup. These pancakes are an ideal breakfast choice or the holiday season when the family is home. Oh, and by the way, they make a pretty darn good supper too.
- Greek Yogurt Glazed Cinnamon Croissant Rolls
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Cider Syrup
- Pantry Pancakes
Cranberry-Orange Pancakes with Cranberry Infused Maple Syrup
for the pancakes
for the syrup
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
for the pancakes
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just blended.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Pour ⅓ cup batter for each pancake onto a lightly greased hot griddle or nonstick skillet.
- Cook 2 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked; turn, and cook 1 minute or until lightly browned.
- Keep warm. Serve with Cranberry-Maple Syrup.
for the syrup
- Bring maple syrup and ¾ cup cranberries to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 minutes or until cranberries pop.
- Crush cranberries in saucepan using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in remaining ¼ cup cranberries; simmer just until they begin to pop (about 2 minutes).
- Add butter, and stir until melted.