With the temperatures dipping down below zero the last few days, what could be better to warm your soul then a big bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup? Too much work you might say? Well let me show you how to take some shortcuts which make less work but still gives you big flavor.
What is this?
With 6 boys, 2 full time working dads, and a not so smart English bulldog, who has the luxury of taking hours to prepare dinner? If a shortcut can be taken in the kitchen, trust me, I will find it and I will take it.
My mom used to make chicken soup for me when I was growing up. She would roast her chicken in the oven and then use the carcass to make her own stock. Now I say, when you have the time, absolutely. But when you don’t, why not pick up a pre roasted chicken from your local supermarket? It will save you hours. What about the stock? If you don’t have the time, take advantage of some of the high quality “boxed” or “canned” stocks on the market.
You can always add your own personal touches to the soup. I spice up my “boxed” chicken stock by adding onions, fresh carrots and celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme, basil and white wine. This transforms an ordinary stock into something very special. To even take it to another level, we also decided to take some of the Bacon Spinach Balls out of the freezer and add them to the soup as well. These proved to be a great addition. I hope that you put your own mark on this soup and call it your own.
Spinach Dumplings in Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 roasted Chicken shredded
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 to 3 cloves crushed garlic
- juice from half a lemon
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- dried rosemary to taste
- dried thyme to taste
- dried basil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- egg noodles
- In stock pot, over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped onions. Cook until onions have softened and become translucent.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until vegetables start to soften.
- Pour chicken stock into the stock pot and add white wine.
- Stir in rosemary, thyme, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the juice from half a lemon.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Cook egg noodles according to packaging drain and add to soup
- For the Spinach Dumplings option, find that recipe on Platter Talk.