Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
on Dec 26, 2017, Updated Aug 05, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe comes to Platter Talk from Vicky Giangis.
What is this?
Sweet fried rice is popular in Thai cuisine and other tropical Asian cultures and this pineapple fried rice is also a hit with children. But it gets even better! This recipe is a great way to use leftover rice and therefore if you have a little leftover rice the next time you are making it, here is a perfect solution to put it to good use.
This pineapple fried rice recipe calls for white rice. While the recipe takes only a few minutes to make, the rice will take a bit longer, so make that a day ahead. Cold rice is best in the recipe.
How to make it on the stovetop
- In a soup pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Meanwhile, thoroughly rinse 1 cup long grain white rice under cold running water in a colander or sieve.
- Add rinsed rice and 1 tsp sea salt (optional for enhance flavor) in the boiling water. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low/simmer. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When all water almost vaporized and rice is cooked (a little wet), turn off heat source. Remove the pan (while keeping the lid on) from heat. Allow rice pot resting, untouched ,for 5-10 minutes before opening and fluffing with a fork/paddle.
You can also make this in a rice cooker, if you have one. Most rice cookers generally call for 1 cup of rice to every 1 ½ cups of water. Just follow the directions that came with the rice cooker for proper timing.
We’ve made an alternative version of fried rice in the past, using cauliflower and you can click the link or photo below for our Cauliflower Pork Fried Rice.
Cauliflower Pork Fried Rice Healthy & Grainless
This pineapple fried rice recipe makes for a delicious use of leftover rice, it’s simple to make and your kids will love it as well. What’s not to love? Give delicious food idea a try soon.
Vicky Giangis a home cooking mom and a food blogger. She loves to share her recipes and culinary tips from her diversified experience of multi-culture. Check out her blog for more recipes.
- Spring Risotto with Asparagus, Peas & Leeks
- Spanish Rice and Beans
Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 tbsp light cooking oil, such as grapeseed or canola
- 1 smal onioin, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1.5 cups pineapple, diced to match size of peppers
- 2 cups white rice, cold
- 1.5 tbsp tamari or light soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 scalliions, sliced for garnish
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat a wok or large sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the wok evenly. Cook the onions for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger for cook for another minute.
- Add the bell pepper and pineapple and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice until well mixed with the fruits and aromatics. Add the tamari and continue stirring until all is well heated, approximately 1-1/2 minutes.
- Remove the wok from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve with scallions and sesame seeds sprinkled on top of the rice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.