Apple & Sausage Mac and Cheese with Apple Cider is the ultimate fall dish. Fresh sage, apples, apple cider, and hearty cheese all combine for a savory dish that is the kiss of all things fall.
What is it?
Once in a while, I run across a recipe that I can’t get out of my mind. When I first ran across this dish from Saveur magazine, it immediately caught my eye. Mac and cheese is a favorite in our family of six boys. In fact, it is in all probability the thing they agree on most in this world.
What’s in it?
This Apple & Sausage Mac and Cheese is the ultimate autumn comfort food dish. It’s like fall in an easy-to-make casserole dish, featuring these savory ingredients:
- 2 types of cheddar cheese, mild and extra sharp
- Pork sausage
- Fresh sage
- Apple Cider
We used Granny Smith apples, in the hopes of their tartness balancing the sweet and savory cider and other ingredients. We weren’t disappointed in the results!
This Apple & Sausage Mac and Cheese is a snap to put together, making it a perfect weeknight meal.
What really got my attention was the apple cider in this Apple & Sausage Mac and Cheese. It’s the perfect compliment to everything else and makes use of one of the greatest gifts of the fall season.
You can put this entire recipe for Apple & Sausage Mac ‘n Cheese together, start to finish, in about an hour’s time.
I mentioned before that our family, our boys in particular, our huge fans of mac and cheese. This recipe for Apple & Sausage Mac and Cheese did not let me down, to this regard. Our whole family loves this fall version of an American classic. In fact, before table was clear there were boys asking me, “Dad, when can we have this again?” My response, “Soon, boys, very soon.”
Sausage Macaroni and Cheese with Apple Cider
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion coarse dice
- 1 lb . bulk pork sausage
- 5-6 leaves of fresh sage minced
- 3-4 inch apples cored and cut into 1 pieces
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded, 8 oz.
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded, 8 oz.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb . elbow macaroni or shells of your choosing.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high; add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add the sausage and brown, using a wooden spoon to chop up and brown, about 10-12 minutes. Next, add apple and sage then cook about 5 more minute; add flour and then cook 2 more minutes. Add the cider and cook another 2 minutes, then add milk. Cook and stir occasionally, until thickened for about 8-10 minutes. Fold in half of the cheese, salt, and pepper making sure cheese completely melted.
- Prepare pasta as directed, using large pot of boiling water. Drain pasta, then return to large pot and stir in cheese mixture. Spread the pasta in a greased 9 x 13" casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.