Blueberry Chocolate Streusel Bars are a perfect compliment to summer weather. Fresh berries, good chocolate and a hot oven are just about all this one takes!
Blueberry Chocolate Streusel Bars
Who doesn’t like a happy kid? I’m not saying that I’m above bribing our boys now and then with a special treat; I may have once taught them to say, “Life’s too short not to have a doughnut now and then.” (Do not judge me). Or in this case, a couple of blueberry chocolate streusel bars.
Besides, they can even cause spontaneous singing in certain children and no doubt adults as well. Just take a look at Isaiah here as he just crawled out of bed at 9:30, donning one of my ratty old T’s that he loves to wear with his PJs. (Remember, we’re not judging.)
All kidding aside, these blueberry chocolate streusel bars are an all-around ideal treat. They’re simple to put together, their taste is pretty self-evident (darn delicious) and they’re versatile for whatever berries you have on hand. Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, get the picture?
Probably the most challenging part of making these blueberry chocolate streusel bars is waiting for them to be finished baking. As the kitchen timer nears its end, the aroma coming from the oven makes matters only worse.
Warm berries, chocolate, and a touch of lemon, all singing together on the center rack but not quite ready for prime time. It’s almost painful at this point. I suggest having something else to keep you occupied during the final 10 minutes of baking. Also, if you don’t mind having company, it’s O.K. to leave your windows open. The draw is that alluring.
Find some berries and grab a couple of chocolate bars of good quality. Then, get ready to sing. These blueberry chocolate streusel bars will take everything up an octave or two. On that note, happy summer to you. -Dan
Never Miss Another Platter Talk Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened, plus 6 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups crushed chocolate bars
- 3 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1½ cups blueberry preserves or jam
- 1 handful fresh blueberries, washed and rinsed
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, prepare a 9"x13" baking pan with non-stick coating.
- Combine 1 cup softened butter with 1 cups granulated sugar, add egg, lemon zest and lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate pieces and beat in 2 cups of flour.
- Spread evenly over pan. Evenly distribute blueberry preserves or jam over batter, leaving ¼" border.
- Evenly distribute fresh blueberries over layer of preserves/jam/
- In another bowl, combine 1 cup flour, ¼ cup sugar, 6 tablespoons of chilled butter, cut with two knives or pastry butter until crumbly. Add remaining 1 cup chocolate pieces and mix well.
- Evenly distribute crumple topping over blueberries.
- Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on metal rack, then cut.
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in small bowl, mix well and drizzle over bars, allow to set before serving.
Batter will be thick, to help spread evenly, lightly rinse palms of hands with water and gently pat down. Can also dip tablespoon in water, shake off, and use bottom of spoon to spread batter.
Blueberry Chocolate Streusel Bars