We took a break from pumpkins and apples a few days ago and put together a combination of yummy standards that are good for any season and any time of the year. Oatmeal, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. Together.
These bars are nearly infallible. In addition to the aforementioned trifecta of primary ingredients, there are a couple more elements of this recipe that effectively take it to the top: It’s quick and easy. Two of my favorite kitchen adjectives.
While I’m on the topic of favorite kitchen things, two of my favorite kitchen frequenters showed up just as these were coming out of the oven. Our almost nine year-old red-headed and blue-eyed twins. “Dad, are these ready to eat,” their pleading eyes were asking, though the words came from their lips. I happily surrendered a spatula to the pair and before the first bar was finished one of them asked, “When are you going to make these again?” ‘Nuff said, try this one. -Dan
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture and mix well. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.