Our Best Banana Bread Recipe
on May 15, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This banana bread recipe has become legendary in our house. It is both simple to make and dreamy delicious. Make this easy recipe in just over an hour and you will agree it is time well spent!
What is this?
As with any good banana bread, this one starts with ripe bananas. You’ll want to use 2 to 3 ripe bananas, depending on their size.
What is a Ripe Banana?
As bananas age, they ripen. Their yellow peel darkens and brown spots begin to appear. Ripe bananas are also soft and sweet, a perfect combination for the best banana bread. Left on the countertop, fresh bananas can take up to a week to be fully ripe.
If you’re pressed for time, learn How to Ripen Bananas from Epicurious.
If you have a nut allergy or just don’t care for walnuts (like our kids), leave them out. Once in a while, we will also add a teaspoon or so of unsweetened cocoa powder, in addition to the chocolate chips. This gives you a rich loaf of chocolate banana bread
This banana bread is moist and heavy but it is not dense. It’s also a great excuse to always have some bananas on hand.
Teaching Kids to Bake
Another great thing about this banana breads is that it is a wonderful way to get your kids in the kitchen. It’s a very easy recipe for kids wanting to learn how to bake. Also, this is a great way to get one on one time with your kids or grandchildren. We do this a lot and never regret it!
Taking a cue from his dad, our 13-year-old Nate makes this recipe. In it, he uses a chopped-up chocolate bar and a teaspoon of cocoa powder for chocolate chips.
Banana Bread Muffins
For a little variation on this recipe, turn this banana bread into muffins!.
This banana bread recipe is a great way to use “leftover bananas.”
- As your bananas ripen, you can store them in the freezer where they will keep for weeks.
- When you are ready to make this recipe, let the frozen bananas thaw on the counter for an hour or so.
- You can also thaw them in the microwave for 10 or 15 seconds.
Banana Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place bananas and butter in a large mixing bowl and mix together, using a wooden spoon. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and stir. Add the optional walnuts and chocolate chips, if desired. Add the flour and continue to mix by hand.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack and remove from pan. Slice and serve.
- When freezing ripe bananas, you can also peel them and place them in freezer bags for storage in the freezer.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.