What this is
A couple of evenings ago found us at our little house in town, sans kids. This presented a rare opportunity to do some miscellaneous chores as well as put together an easy meal, slanted perhaps more toward the taste of parents rather than the 10 and under crowd. There would be no chicken fingers or homemade beef-a-roni at our house tonight.
Not every meal has to be kid friendly.
Topping the list of foods that our kids probably won’t ask for would be:
And this big list is in no particular order! Under ordinary circumstance our gang of six boys would pass the plate on a recipe that has either of these two ingredients in it.
We like to pair this easy date night dinner with some quinoa and wilted spinach. Have you ever made quinoa? It’s super simple. Just some hot broth or water and a sauce pan, that’s about all you need. We always use our own chicken stock if we have some on hand. It’s so easy to make!
Here’s a little food tip for you: Did you know you should rinse quinoa before cooking it? Doing so helps prevent a bitter taste. We’ve got a great kitchen food hack with this easy rinse method for quinoa, be sure to check it out!
If you make these spinach and feta chicken rollups, serve it on a bed of wilted spinach. You will be amazed at how a huge bag of spinach will shrink down to a hand-size portion. As a bonus, you will also feel good about eating healthy. Works for me every time!
This easy date night dinner of spinach and feta chicken rollups has it all, without going overboard. Some simple chicken breasts, some every day vegetables and a sprinkle of feta cheese, all with a base of hearty and nutritious quinoa. Try it tonight and let us know you like it!
Spinach & Feta Chicken Rollups
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, about 6 oz each
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and divided
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 cups baby spinach raw, washed and stemmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and then lay chicken breasts out on cutting board and cover top with plastic wrap. Using flat side of meat tenderizer, gently pound chicken breasts from center toward edges until ¼ inch thick.
- Use your fingers to evenly distribute crushed garlic on meat surface and then evenly distribute feta cheese on both breasts, reserving some for garnish if desired. Next, layer spinach leaves on both chicken breasts.
- Starting with short end of each chicken breasts, roll from end to end and then seal and secure with toothpicks. Trim ends of tooth pics to make flush with meat.
- Heat olive oil on stove top, over medium high heat, using oven-safe saute pan. Place the chicken rollups in pan and brown and rotate to sear all surfaces. Cover saute pan (use foil if necessary) and it in oven for 20-25 minutes, until meat is cooked throughout
- Serve atop bed of wilted spinach
- Accompany with quinoa and sauteed asparagus
- Pairs well with a chardonnay or sauvignon blanc.