I’ve always enjoyed a good magic show, and of course a good side dish. This Oven Wilted Spinach with Roasted Tomatoes is a good example of both.
Why You’ll Love this Oven Wilted Spinach with Roasted Tomatoes
- It’s Easy! A bag of spinach, some cherry tomatoes, garlic, some salt, pepper, and a little lemon juice!
- It’s dark, green, and leafy and a delicious way to load up on this anitoxidant-rich food.
- It’s economical. A complete side dish for just a buck or two.
Growing up, there were two things that I would not eat, under any circumstances: spinach and tomatoes. I gradually grew into tomatoes, if you will. Spinach was a different story.
“If spinach can be wilted on the stovetop, why not try it in the oven?”
I had a leaf here and a leaf there, but it wasn’t until I was well into adulthood that I ventured out and ordered a side of wilted spinach. Magic. I still remember when and where, Trattoria Stefano, Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Magic. Now, every time that I make wilted spinach at home I am mystified how a huge bag of spinach can be reduced into what seems like a few forkfuls, via the wilting process. Magic. The flavor of wilted spinach, with a little tune-up, Magic.
Tonight at the cottage I was in the midst of preparing an other-worldly tasting chicken dish, when I realized that spinach would be an excellent side for what I was making. I had the oven on, and I had a handful of cherry tomatoes.
If spinach can be wilted on the stove top, why not try it in the oven? My mind was still going back to the cherry tomatoes that were roasted atop a margarita pizza in my 550 degree oven, last week (that Platter Talk post is still “rising”.) They were literally bursting with flavor. Sweet cherry tomatoes, on top of savory wilted spinach? Magic. I hope you’ll try this one, I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it. -Dan
Love Roasted Vegetables? Check out this recipe for Make-Ahead Roast Vegetables.
Oven Wilted Spinach with Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 large bag baby spinach
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice from 1 fresh lemon
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350.
- Place spinach in oven-safe dish or skillet.
- Place tomatoes on top of spinach.
- Sprinkle garlic slices on mixture.
- Drizzle olive and lemon juice over tomatoes and spinach.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.