Chimichurri chicken is a flavorful and lively meal that is good for your health and good for your wallet.
Chimichurri Chicken Drumsticks
OK. Maybe I live in a closet (although I can assure you that isn’t the case). Why then had I not heard of Chimichurri until earlier this week when I finally made a reappearance at our gym?
As I was making my way toward the treadmill, I came across a podium with a couple of healthy recipes that were on display for gym members. I popped a copy of the recipe into my workout bag on my way out and this is what happened when I got home, later that day.
Ingredients for Chimichurri Sauce
This Chimichurri Chicken is indeed simple to make and very flavorful. It’s basically made with a marinade that consists of things like:
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Other flavorings like garlic, salt, pepper, etc.
We like a little zing in our food and so we added some hot pepper flakes to this Chimichurri Chicken. Some other seasonings that would work include cumin, paprika, and oregano.
Although Chimichurri has its roots in South America, it has many of the same seasonings associated with Mexican-style foods. It is healthy food and a great way to celebrate Cinco de mayo.
We baked these Chimichurri Chicken Drumsticks but you can use the marinade for delicious grilled pork, beef, or chicken as well.
This chimichurri Chicken is super simple to put together. Once the meat is in the marinade, it just needs a short stay in the fridge, maybe for a good hour or so, You want the meat to take on the flavor of all of these beautiful flavors. You can even let it soak overnight for a solid marinaded flavor the next day.
The Best Chicken Parts for Chimichurri
You can use any cut of chicken when making this chimichurri dish. As a rule, the darker cuts (thighs and drumsticks) will add more flavor. On the other hand, white meat may be a bit less in calories if you are watching your waistline. The good news is that you can use whatever chicken you have on hand, bone-in or boneless, white or dark.
Give this Chimichurri Chicken a try soon. You’ll find out that this entrée is a rare guiltless indulgence that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner. Even better, it tastes great from the oven or the grill. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried this chicken chimichurri or any other recipe on Platter Talk, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what we have cooking.
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
for the Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ lemon squeezed for juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper ground
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp red peper flakes crushed
- ½ cup olive oil
- Combine all of the ingredients for the chimichurri sauce in a food processor and pulse process until cilantro is coarsely chopped.
- Pat the chicken try and put it in a large mixing bowl. Pour all but ¼ cup of chimichurri sauce over the chicken and reserve remaining sauce. Stir the chicken or mix with hands until it is well covered by the sauce. Cover the bowl and place it in refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight for the next day.
- When you're ready to make the chimichurri Chicken, preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for about 50 minutes or until done. Finish under the broiler for 1-3 minutes for a nice, crispy finish.
- Serve the chimichurri Chicken while hot and top with the reserved sauce.
Updated from the original post from May 4, 2017