Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is an easy and flavorful family meal that you can make in a snap. This delicious uses just 5 ingredients and features some of the things loved most by picky eaters.
Not only will your kids love it but as a busy mom or dad you will too. With a prep time of 10 minutes, this great dish can be ready to serve in just over a half hour!
What is this?
This is an easy casserole recipe that your kids will ask for again and again. Instead of traditional ingredients found in similar casserole recipes, you are going to make some kid-friendly adjustments.
What's in it?
You only need five simple ingredients to make this kid-friendly chicken cordon bleu casserole recipe.
- Chicken Breasts - You'll want to use boneless breasts for this. You can also use strips of chicken tenderloin but I find the casserole is easier to cut when using whole breasts.
- Deli Ham - You can use almost any deli ham that you like, but we prefer the Virginia baked ham because of it's flavor. Healthy cooking tip: Go with a reduced-sodium ham if possible, you'll never miss the extra salt!
- Provolone Cheese - If your kids are like mine, they will choose this mellow flavored smooth and creamy-flavored cheese every time, instead of the traditional Swiss cheese found in similar recipes.
- Ranch Dressing - This replaces the traditional Dijon mustard and will blend with the melted Provolone, creating e a cheese sauce that kids love.
- Panko Bread Crumbs - These add a little crunch to the to of this family meal and their neutral flavor won't drive your kids away.
How to make it
(See the full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.)
Gather the short list of ingredients and a casserole dish. I like to use a 9" x 11" inch baking pan when making this chicken cordon bleu casserole.
- Place 1 lb. Virginia baked deli ham in a casserole dish.
- Place 8 oz. of Provolone on top of the ham.
- Spread about ¼ cup ranch salad dressing over the cheese.
- Layer boneless chicken breasts over the ranch dressing.
5. Top the layer of chicken with Panko (coarse) breadcrumbs and spray with olive oil or non-stick coating. This will give you crispy bread crumbs.
6. Bake at 375° F for 30 minutes, until golden brown,.
Substitutions and variations
A great thing about this easy dinner idea is that you can adjust it to your taste and even what you have on hand. Some of the other things I like to add or use in this easy dinner idea include:
- Rotisserie chicken
- Leftover ham
- Leftover chicken
- A dash of Worcestershire sause
Sometimes I like to sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of the casserole, for a little Italian flare.
What to serve with this delicious casserole
You can store this in an airtight container in your fridge for up to five days. Or, just use some kitchen wrap and seal the baking dish and then place in the refrigerator.
The next time you want a fast and easy recipe, try this blue ribbon delicious casserole!
This easy chicken recipe is dad tested, and kid approved, across the board. Give it a try; you don't have to be a kid to love this one! -Dan
More easy casserole recipes
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Ranch Style Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1 lb thin sliced Virginia baked ham from the deli
- 8 oz Provolone cheese or Swiss, or whatever you prefer.
- ¼ cup ranch salad dressing
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
- ¼ cup coarse Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray 9 x 11" casserole pan with non-stick coating.
- Line pan with layers of ham, evenly.
- Cover ham with single layer of cheese, overlap edges if necessary.
- Use the back of a spoon and spread ranch dressing evenly over cheese.
- If using chicken breasts, place each breast between plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to flatten to about ¼ to ½ inch thickness. Place chicken over ranch dressing layer.
- Evenly distribute bread crumbs over chicken, spray with non-stick coating or with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cut and serve.
- Combine the following in large bowl: 1 can cream of chicken soup, ¼ cup chicken broth, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard and 2 tbsp sour cream or cream cheese and a dash of garlic powder or onion powder.
- Use a medium sauce pan and warm these ingredients over medium heat.
- Spread the sauce on top of the chicken and bake as directed.