This creamy crockpot chicken recipe is an easy slow cooker recipe that is also kid-friendly. Did I mention the prep time for this slow cooker dinner is 8 minutes? As a bonus, we show you how to convert this into a fast Instant Pot Creamy Chicken. (You can make it in the oven as well!)
Now let’s find out how to make this easy family dinner, time’s a-ticking!
What is this?
Have you ever taken a scavenger hunt in your freezer? Dan did last night and found some frozen chicken tenderloins. He was nice enough to take them out and put them in the fridge. And behold, this easy crockpot recipe was born!
What you need to make this
- A crock-pot or slow cooker
- Boneless skinless chicken
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Minced garlic
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Onion powder
- Bag of mixed frozen vegetables
- Egg noodles
How to make it
- Combine the soup, shredded cheese, sour cream, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, and water, in a crock-pot.
- Add the boneless skinless breasts and turn your crock-pot on low.
- You may also use a pound of tenderloin.
- Stir in frozen veggies 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve over egg noodles
- Garnish and serve!
Finally, this creamy crockpot chicken is an ideal choice if you want to contribute a meal to your local homeless shelter. We have more Ideas for Making Meals for the Homeless as well.
- Set the slow cooker on low, when adding the ingredients.
- Omit carrots and noodles to cut carbs.
- Substitute chopped onions or dry onion soup mix for onion powder.
- You can also use cream of mushroom soup.
Yes. Bake at 400° in a covered baking dish, such as a Dutch Oven.
We don’t recommend putting frozen poultry in a crockpot, although many people will do this.
Yes, but add it at the end, just prior to serving.
No. You can use whole boneless skinless breasts for this crockpot recipe.
Yes, you can convert this into an instant pot recipe! Read on below.
Instant pot instructions
Use the same ingredients to make this instant pot recipe in about 30 minutes!
- Place 1 to 2 lbs boneless skinless breasts in the instant pot.
- Add 1 cup of broth.
- For frozen breasts, pressure cook on manual setting for 6 minutes.
- For thawed breasts, pressure cook on manual setting for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural release of 6 minutes for both frozen and thawed meat.
- If using frozen vegetables, thaw them in a sink of warm water them to the instant pot.
- Remove the poultry from the Instant Pot after a 6-minute natural release, tent with foil, and set aside, reserving liquid.
- For the pasta, either prepare it according to the package instructions on the stovetop or in the instant pot.
- If using the Instant Pot for cooking the pasta, add 12 oz of pasta to the reserved liquid.
- Add tap water to cover the pasta by ½ an inch.
- Pressure cook on manual setting for 2 minutes and use a quick release.
- Stir in the cheese, vegetables, and sour cream and the cooked poultry to the Instant Pot and serve.
Substitutions and variations
- I used about 4 cups of shredded cheese in this version.
- Instead of onion powder, I used a teaspoon of minced garlic.
- I added a pinch of kosher salt.
- Make it your own and use what you have on hand!
If you are new to Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker Cooking, don’t fret! Here is an informative comparison between the Instant Pot and a Cosori Pressure Cooker.
Check out some of our other popular Slow Cooker Recipes for Kids:
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips Dinner
- Stewing beef mixed with garlic and cream of mushroom soup in a slow cooker.
- Slow Cooke Shredded Beef Barbecue
- Simple and inexpensive family meal using chuck roast, barbecue sauce, and a few other common ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Slow-cooked pork roast combined with white soda, brown sugar, and some other common pantry ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
- An easy and affordable crock-pot meal and a good way to use leftover ham.
- Slow Cooker Sticky Caramel Pumpkin Cake
- A crock-pot dump cake that is ready to eat in two hours.
I challenge you to try this creamy crockpot chicken. I know that your family will enjoy it as much as ours did.
- Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Simple and affordable crockpot dinner.
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe Easy recipe for slow cooker family meal.
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Wings Budget-friendly meal with loads of flavor.
- White Chicken Chili Robust chili that can be made in the crockpot.
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup One of our most popular crockpot recipes.
- White Bean Chicken Soup Healthy soup from Diary of a Recipe Collector.
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
The best crockpot chicken
- 1 lb Chicken tenderloins or boneless chicken breast
- 1 Family sized can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup water or broth Optional in crock-pot version but not optional in Instant Pot Creamy Chicken version.
- ⅔ cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Assorted vegetables for convenience I used a prepackaged bag with carrots, broccoli and cauliflower
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 12 oz. egg noodles for a side
- Combine in a crockpot cream of chicken soup, water, sour cream, minced garlic, cheese and salt and pepper.
- Add chicken into sauce mixture, make certain to cover chicken with sauce.
- Cover and turn crock pot on low. Cooking times will depend on how thick chicken is. Because I used chicken tenderloins which are thinner, chicken was done after 4 ½ hours. If using a thicker chicken breast, continue in the crock pot until fully cooked.
- Add the vegetables on top of sauce and then add salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste to the vegetables.
- Before you are ready to serve, prepare egg noodle according to directions on bag.
- Stir sauce in crock pot prior to serving.
- Serve over egg noodles.
- Use white or dark meat for this crockpot chicken recipe.
- This recipe is oven-friendly; bake at 400°, covered for 30 minutes.
- Adding veggies at the end will make this less mushy!
- Use either cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup for this recipe.
- Consider substituting Lipton onion soup mix for the raw onion.
- To reduce the carbs in this recipe, omit the carrots.