This Cream of Chicken Recipe is just the ticket if you are looking for an easy slow cooker and kid-friendly recipe. Did I mention the prep time for this slow cooker chicken is just 8 minutes?
As a bonus, we show you how to convert this crock-pot chicken recipe into a fast Instant Pot Creamy Chicken. (You can make it in the oven as well!)
Now let’s find out how to make this slow cooker creamed chicken, time’s a-ticking’!
Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Recipe
Have you ever taken a scavenger hunt in your freezer? Dan did last night and found some frozen chicken tenderloins. He was nice enough to take them out and put them in the fridge.
However, I did not discover this until 10 minutes before I left for work this morning. Always trying to make up new kid-friendly recipes, I wondered what sort of chicken tenderloins recipes I could make in less than 10 minutes before I left for work?
The end result is an amazing family dinner. Maximal flavor with minimal effort and minimal cost. As a bonus, kids love this meal and adults love this meal.
What family dinner recipe could be better for a busy mom or dad?
What you Need for this Crock-Pot Chicken Recipe
- A crock-pot or slow cooker
- Boneless skinless chicken
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Minced garlic
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Onion powder
- Bag of mixed frozen vegetables
- Egg noodles
How to make this Easy Kid-Friendly Recipe
- Combine the cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese, sour cream, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, and water, in a crock-pot.
- Add boneless skinless chicken breasts and turn your crock-pot on low.
- May use a pound of chicken tenderloin.
- Stir in frozen veggies 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve over egg noodles
- Garnish and serve!
It’s not often that you can sneak a healthy portion of vegetables into kid-friendly recipes. The frozen veggies are a game-changer if you’re short on time.
Finally, this easy crockpot chicken recipe is an ideal choice if you want to contribute a meal to your local homeless shelter. We have more Ideas for Making Meals for the Homeless as well.
Helpful Readers’ Comments for this Cream of Chicken Recipe
- Have the slow cooker set on low when adding the ingredients.
- Omit carrots and noodles to cut carbs.
- Substitute chopped onions or dry onion soup mix for onion powder.
- Use cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken soup or a combination of the two.
Readers’ FAQ and Comments for this Crockpot Chicken Recipe
Can I make this crockpot cream of chicken recipe in the oven?
- Yes. Bake at 400° in a covered baking dish, such as a Dutch Oven.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts for this chicken crockpot recipe?
- We don’t recommend putting frozen meat in a crockpot, although many people will do this.
Can I use mayonnaise instead of sour cream for this cream of chicken recipe?
- Yes, but add it at the end, just prior to serving.
Does the chicken need to be cut up before placing it in the crock-pot?
- No. You can use whole boneless skinless chicken breast for this crockpot chicken.
Can I make this Cream of Chicken Recipe in the Instant Pot?
- Yes, you can make this cream of chicken in the instant pot!
How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Chicken
Use the same ingredients for this easy crockpot chicken to make instant pot creamy chicken in about 30 minutes!
Instructions for Instant Pot Creamy Chicken
- Place 1 to 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts in the instant pot.
- Add 1 cup of broth.
- For frozen chicken breasts, pressure cook on manual setting for 6 minutes.
- For thawed chicken breasts, pressure cook on manual setting for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural release of 6 minutes for both frozen and thawed chicken breasts.
- If using frozen vegetables, thaw them in a sink of warm water while the chicken is in the instant pot.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot after a 6-minute natural release, tent with foil, and set aside, reserving liquid.
- For the pasta, either prepare it according to the package instructions on the stovetop or in the instant pot.
- If using the Instant Pot for cooking the pasta, add 12 oz of pasta to the reserved liquid.
- Add tap water to cover the pasta by 1/2 an inch.
- Pressure cook on manual setting for 2 minutes and use a quick release.
- Stir in the cheese, vegetables, and sour cream and then return chicken breasts to the Instant Pot and serve.
Adjust the flavors of this Instant Pot creamy chicken to your individual preference.
- I used about 4 cups of shredded cheese in this version.
- Instead of onion powder, I used a teaspoon of minced garlic.
- I added a pinch of kosher salt.
- Make it your own and use what you have on hand!
Check out some of our other popular Slow Cooker Recipes for Kids:
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips Dinner
- Slow Cooke Shredded Beef Barbecue
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
- Slow Cooker Sticky Caramel Pumpkin Cake
I challenge you to try this Cream of Chicken Recipe. I know that your family will enjoy it as much as ours did.
Check out this link for The Best Wines to Pair with Chicken
If you’ve tried this Crockpot Chicken Recipe or any other recipe on Platter Talk, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see what we have cooking!
Platter Talk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken tenderloins or boneless chicken breast
- 1 Family sized can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup water or broth Optional in crock-pot version but not optional in Instant Pot Creamy Chicken version.
- 2/3 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Assorted vegetables for convenience I used a prepackaged bag with carrots, broccoli and cauliflower
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 12 oz. egg noodles for a side
- Combine in a crockpot cream of chicken soup, water, sour cream, minced garlic, cheese and salt and pepper.
- Add chicken into sauce mixture, make certain to cover chicken with sauce.
- Add the vegetables on top of sauce and then add salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste to the vegetables.
- Cover and turn crock pot on low. Cooking times will depend on how thick chicken is. Because I used chicken tenderloins which are thinner, chicken was done after 4 1/2 hours. If using a thicker chicken breast, continue in the crock pot until fully cooked.
- Before you are ready to serve, prepare egg noodle according to directions on bag.
- Stir sauce in crock pot prior to serving.
- Serve over egg noodles.
- Use white or dark meat for this crockpot chicken recipe.
- This recipe is oven-friendly; bake at 400°, covered for 30 minutes.
- Adding veggies at the end will make this less mushy!
- Use either cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup for this recipe.
- Consider substituting Lipton onion soup mix for the raw onion.
- To reduce the carbs in this recipe, omit the carrots.