Mashed potatoes are among the best of our American food. Using just a couple of common ingredients, I'm going to show you how to take this basic side dish to a whole new level.
In only 30 minutes. Hang on tight, because you're going to love this recipe!
What are these?
There are a couple of things about mashed potatoes that are, in my opinion, solid facts:
- They are the Queen of comfort foods.
- Mashed potatoes are not just for holidays.
- They are as as easy to make as they are to enjoy.
- Garlic and butter can take this ordinary side dish completely over the top!
With those three brief statements, I am still surprised sometimes when I hear from some folks that they don't know how to make mashed potatoes.
What's in them?
With that in mind, let me just say that there are only a few things you need to make this jazzed-up side dish:
- Sauce pan
- Wooden soon or something to stir and mash, like a table fork.
You don't need an electric mixer, you don't need a particular type of potato (although many people have personal preferences based on taste and texture,) and you really don't need any other special ingredients or equipment.
Other add-ins for this recipe
We've been known to add some sour cream, some heavy cream, and in this case some garlic to our garlic mashed potatoes.
Let your imagination do the tasting, then let your hands put it together. I'd love to know how you like your mashed potatoes!
Happy eating to all and here's hoping you are entering the holiday season with hungry appetites and grateful hearts. -Dan
If you are looking for dishes to serve with these mashed potatoes, you can take a look at our recipe index, and practically throw a dart!
For something different though, try this easy meatloaf recipe that we call, Apple Meatloaf.
Or, you can't go wrong with our favorite meatloaf recipe. Somethings were just made to go together!
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Homemade Mashed Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Garlic
- 2-3 lbs whole potatoes peeled.
- tap water
- ½ to 1 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- butter optional
- Using a 4-6 quart sauce pan, fill with water till ¾ full.
- Place potatoes in water and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low simmer, cover sauce pan and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain water from pan and return to stove on low heat.
- Add ¼ cup of milk and begin to break up potatoes using a wooden spoon.
- Continue to stir and mash while slowly adding additional milk to desired consistency.
- Add garlic and parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper and optional butter to taste.
- Starchy Russets are the most mildly flavored potatoes, but some people prefer a more flavorful variety.
- If flavor matters to you just as much as texture, do this instead: Make your these with half Russets and half Yukon Golds for the best of both worlds. This blend will yield a nice flavor but still have a light, delicate texture.
- Cut the spuds into smaller pieces prior to boiling. This will reduce cooking time.
We enjoy garlic mashed potatoes, made with roasted garlic and half and half cream/milk. Fresh parsley for sure too!