Mashed Potato Croquettes are the stuff from which dreams are made.
Soft, warm, comforting and the perfect use of leftover mashed potatoes.
Potato croquettes make a strong case for proving that potatoes might just be better as leftovers.
I saw this Mashed Potato Croquettes Recipe in Bon Appétit a few weeks ago.
Like most recipes that capture me, this one lived up to my expectations.
Every. Single. Morsel.
Every once in a while a recipe catches my eye that I can’t stop thinking about.
Almost like love at first sight.
Often I’ll think about such a recipe for days.
I’m not going to lie, sometimes I dream about them.
Don’t judge me.
What are these?
If you have ever asked, “What is a croquette?” you’re not alone.
A croquette is nothing more than a main ingredient that is rolled in breadcrumbs and then fried or baked.
Croquettes are a delicious use of leftover foods.
How to make them
There are few greater sins than running out of mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, IMHO.
With the cheap price of potatoes, you can feel good about making too many mashed potatoes without wasting a lot of time or money.
But there’s another and more tasty reason for making too many mashed potatoes: Potato croquettes!
These potato croquettes could not be any easier to put together.
1. Start by mixing mashed potatoes, egg yolks, chives, and a little flour.
2. Roll the croquettes into golf-ball-size portions.
3. Dredge them in an egg wash and then roll the croquettes in bread crumbs.
4. Bake them in the oven for about 12 minutes or fry them in a skillet of hot oil for about 3 minutes.
This croquette recipe will live up to your expectations, and beyond
Easy to make and delicious use of leftovers, the taste and texture of these croquettes is the stuff that dreams are made of!
Lightly crunchy on the outside, these potato croquettes soft on the inside.
In the middle of it all, the authentic mashed potatoes, chives, and Parmesan cheese have their own little party.
Dabbed in a little sour cream with some additional chives on the side, you have a bona fide party appetizer or side dish. You’re welcome.
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Potato Croquettes Recipe
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs Italian flavored if you can find.
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 cups vegetable or canola oil
- Sour cream optional
- In large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, chives, egg yolks, Parmesan cheese, and flour.
- Mix thoroughly and roll into golf ball size portions.
- In small bowl beat 2 eggs.
- Place bread crumbs in another small bowl.
- Dredge croquettes in egg and then bread crumbs.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, using 10″ skillet.
- Working in batches, place croquettes in hot oil, using teaspoon to turn and brown evenly.
- Remove portions from oil when golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Allow to drain on brown paper bag.
- Serve warm with optional sour cream and additional chives.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place the potato croquettes on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.